Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini P/J pickups..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Panther, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Gang..

I'm still in the research period of upgrading pickups..my bass already has stock Peavey P/J pickups (circa 1990). The body is neck-through koa..

Would purchasing these be a waste of $$$$$$ ????

I just got back from TO and played a Lakland with Bartolin's and was floored at the tone (the amp's EQ was flat), but that is a different setup though....

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Bart PJ's (in fact all of their pups) are decent pups, it just depends on what you want and the other variables in the chain.

The only thing that can determine whether it's a waste of money is you. Aside from your own taste there's a myriad of variables that factor into tone. Although pups are major, it's just one variable in the chain. You can make an educated guess but you can't know till they're in.

For starters, if your bass is not similar acoustically (unplugged) to the Lakland you can bet it won't sound the same. Even active EMG's take on the acoustic tone of a bass (and they sound more alike in any bass than any other pups I've run across). In general, it's easier to buy the bass than to try to duplicate it's tone (if the bass is not for sale you kind of get an idea of what you're up against).

Nothing unusual about getting quality tone in a decent bass with onboard controls (esp. with a pre) with eq ran flat. I've ran pups true stereo out seperate jacks (no onboard controls) into seperate amp channels, ran eq flat, and got quality tone simply from the pup blend - that's playing to half dozen different genres. I always ran eq flat till I pulled onbaord controls and you see other players saying as much periodically in TB posts.