Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini P2 Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Demens, May 13, 2005.

1. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    I'm currently about to order some Bartolini P2 pickups... but realized at the last moment there are three different types. The bright, deep, and classic styles. Could anyone help explain what these sound like (through experience... or good reads)?

The bright and deep are fairly obvious... one has treble enhanced and one has bass enhanced... but what about classic?

(I'm going to be using a Bartolini 4.6 A/P 3-band eq preamp. The bass is walnut with a wenge neck, if this info helps any in the descriptions...)

Thanks for the help.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've owned two Elricks, both ash bodied, with P2's.

One had the bright wound, other had regular wound (I'd assume that's probably 'classic'). I actually preferred the regular wound, the bright was a bit too, well, bright.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, a pickups question that I'm actually well experienced in!

My two Elricks each have P2 soapbars- my fretted has the CB (classic bass model) and my fretless has the C. Tom Wagner, the east coast Bartolini distributor, told me (through Grasshopper at Bass Central) that the CB models were backordered forever. They're the ones I wanted, but I went with the C model (which is the slightly bright model) as it only had a three week wait. The K model was available, but that apparently has one of the brighter tones, which I don't prefer.

The CB pickups are great-they go deep and have a nice and clear (but not brittle or thin) top end. Best of both worlds. The C model is a little brighter, but not too much. The bottom end isn't quite as deep, but it is somewhat clearer, although the CB isn't muddy at all.

I also owned a Hill Custom six-string fretless that had P2s and a Bart AP 5.2 preamp-the bass also had a walnut body and a six-piece neck that was about half wenge. I'm not sure which type of P2s were in it though- I'll email the current owner tonight and ask. The bass did sound amazing, I'll say that.

4. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Alright... So, the C is the bright pickup model then?

(Thanks for all the help, by the way)

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There are three bright choices (from the Bart site):

C - bright, smooth humbucker strong lows and low mids

K - brighter humbucker - treble enhanced version of the C

CX - brightest, but not harsh, humbucker - more treble and bass than the K

CB is the classic bass one, and I forget what the name for the really deep one is.