1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bartolini P2 questions...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by L-1329, Aug 25, 2007.

1. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    I have a bass that I'm considering a pup change, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the P2. This bass is alder with a maple neck, and currently has Nordie dual coils. I would like a narrower string spacing, and also a more rich and full sounding tone. The bass is bright and I'm liking the idea of the 'deep tone' Bart, but which model is that? I am guessing it's the 72P25C? I would also be wiring the pups with three way switches for series/single coil/parallel, so assuming that's possible with the Barts has anyone done that? Appreciate any insights and info!:cool:

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    LOL! I have an Elrick which just received the opposite treatment. The Bart P2 was replaced with a Nordie DC (series with a coil-tap) wired to an Aggie preamp. I've found the Nordie to be more articulate throughout the range. I invariably roll-back the treble a tad on all my active basses. I'm also considering replacing the coil-tap with a 3-way series / coil-tap / parallel as you mentioned.

Riis

3. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Well the Nordie's are articulate, much too articulate for my taste in this bass. Plus the dual coils seem to have too much magnetic pull and I think that is a cause of some low B bad harmonic problems. I'm hoping a swap will help cure that, as well as sound a little better in the bass.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The CB model of the P2 will give you a deeper tone- I've had a number of P2/P4s and the CBs are my favorites- similar to Zooberwerx, I have them on an Elrick with an Aggie preamp.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sounds like the Barts are the ticket! If I had the old Bart P2, I'd offer it up. I've not run across the problem with the B harmonics but I maintain a modest pup / string distance so it may not be a factor.

Good luck with the project.

Riis

6. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Thanks. The harmonics are a strange thing with this bass, I think it's a combination of the bridge as well as the pull from the pickups. A plus would be the Bart blade style would let me install a different bridge, that also had a narrower spacing. Hopefully that combination would help!