Bartolini pickup Coil switching

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cliff78, Aug 31, 2009.

1. cliff78

cliff78

Jul 24, 2006
    Dubai
    Has anyone tried usind one ON-OFF-ON dpdt mini switch to get an (outer coil- dual coil- inner coil) set up for two pickup bartolinis? Were you succesfull? is the dual coil in series or parallel.

2. An On-Off-On switch will make for NC-Series-SC switching.
    If you would rather have NC-Parallel-SC instead, you would need an On-On-On switch.
    Either switch type will work:
    3875460610_782f4ff582.png

3. Successful in what regard?
    Almost all 4 conductor humbuckers are capable of coil splitting...

4. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    I did a thread about this same subject (but phrased differently) ... I response I got was, the outer/inner SC don't sound too much different than each other.

I spoke to Bartolini about whether it would be Series or Parallel ... I was told it should be Series (but he didn't sound confident about it)

*** check out the top of the second page ***
    http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/pickups/passive/switching/4cnd_sw1.htm

5. Yeah, I don't think inner versus outer is going to make much of a difference, except for the tone of both pickups together.

On-Off-On switch is series, On-On-On switch is parallel.
    Do you have a center off switch or a center on switch?

6. cliff78

cliff78

Jul 24, 2006
    Dubai
    Thanks so much for the info

7. cliff78

cliff78

Jul 24, 2006
    Dubai
    i havent bought the switch yet. i was planning to put one. is it possible to get series-parallel-outer coils. i coulnt find it in the diagrams with just using one switch for two pickups. and will the blend knob work great. for example if im in single coil mode. could i pan the pickup to the bridge and get a single coil sound

8. Yes, but not in that order (It would go Series/Single Coil/Parallel)

Using this type of switch:
    3839520055_b3ec197c4c_o.png

...The center position will be single coil mode.
    You can configure the single coil mode as either north or south coil, depending on which way you wire the switch.

Yes, your blend pot will still function normally.
    The only issue with blend pots is when you do a master series/parallel switch, however, if you want to do that, you can configure a 3PDT switch to bypass the blend (while retaining it's resistance to ground to maintain the same output as with the pickups parallel) in series mode.

For series/parallel and single coil modes pertaining to the coils within each pickup, the blend will function just fine.

If you can't find the diagram you need, I'll draw you one...

9. cliff78

cliff78

Jul 24, 2006
    Dubai
    so does this mean that i cant do series-single coil-parallel with an on/on/on dpdt switch. a diagram would be a great help if you can draw me one

10. cliff78

cliff78

Jul 24, 2006
    Dubai
    by the way what does NC and SC stand for

11. Yes.

Ok, tell me how your bass is configured?
    volume and blend? Do you have a preamp or a passive tone control or anything? Any other switches?

Edit: You really only need a diagram for the switches themselves, correct?
    The rest of your wiring will remain the same.

12. North coil and south coil

13. cliff78

cliff78

Jul 24, 2006
    Dubai
    i have a bartolini preamp ntbt with active/passive vol p-p switch,
    and blend knob. i plan on just using just a dpdt. to achive series-single-parallel.

14. Actually, you can just use this diagram from Seymour Duncan:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=ssp

Seymour Duncan most likely uses a different color code for their pickups than Bartolini.
    In the diagram:
    Black=NC+
    White=NC-
    Red=SC+
    Green=SC-

In single coil mode, the north coil is active.
    If you want the south coil instead, swap the connections from the NC+ and SC+ and then the NC- and SC-.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021