1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini Pickup Determination

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by marleaux, Jun 1, 2014.

1. marleaux

marleaux

Jan 14, 2011
    http://www.bartolini.net/product-ca...ing-bass-pickup/soapbar-5-string-bass-pickup/

Dear friends, My pickups has been worn out and they are 20 years old now. I want to replace them but I don't want to lose my tone. Would you please tell me which Bartolini pickups are best fit as a replacement. My luthier told me that he can not remember exactly but they were using Bartolini DBB type pickups those days (1996) and I couldn't find anything named DBB.

pickups.

(send the pictures to Bartolini Support but couldn't get a reply yet)

Many thank you in advance,

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The model number should be etched into the bottom of the pickups.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

They look just fine this way. Have they stopped working?

4. marleaux

marleaux

Jan 14, 2011
    Hmm.. I shall disassamble then...

They are working but I thought that the magnets may lost some performance and the newer technology should be better. I want to have a luthier to make a restoration and replace the frets also.

5. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    unless you have bang the poopie out of the magnets, the pickups should be fine….

btw, did you contact the bass's builder about the pups?

6. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Can/do pickups wear out (functionally) over time? Never heard of this happening before. About the only thing I can see is that the covers look a little chewed up from being too close to the strings.

7. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Pickup technology hasn't changed a whole lot in that time, and it sounds like you're after the same model & sound anyway, so I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve here. Has the output level dropped off? You say that the magnets may have lost some performance, so has something changed in the sound of the bass to make you think that? If the magnet has lost strength, it's fairly simple to recharge it using a pair of rare earth magnets. I recently recharged a 40 year old pair of Fender Jazz pickups, and they were behaving fine up until very recently. Are they becoming microphonic? Wax potting would solve that.