1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini Pickup Height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rjs6700, Aug 7, 2007.

1. rjs6700

rjs6700

Jul 25, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    I did a search but couldn't find my answer, sorry if I missed it.

I just installed new 9j1's in my jazz bass. Does Bartolini recommed a certain height for the best performance.

I understand that I need to adjust for tone and balance, but I wondered what the manufacturer suggested? Or for that matter, the experts here.

Thanks in advance.

2. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I have found with my Barts on my Roscoe, if I hold the first and last (E & G, B & G or B & C depending on the number of strings you have)string down on the last fret (fret 20, 21, 22, 24 which ever is you last fret), there should be an 1/8" gap between bottom of string and top of pickup. I have found for the Barts this gives it the fullest sound equally across the strings.

monodark likes this.
  3. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Hello CC,
    I'm still waiting for the Demeter pre :rollno:

1/8" is seems too much for me.... I set Barts usually very close to the strings (3-4/64 higher string and 6-7/64 for the low one). Bart have a low magnet field and low output... But it is just me! :smug:
    Check the Bartolini website.

M

chapito likes this.
  4. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I feel for you Mau. It took a lot longer than expected to get mine. I wonder if Keith ran into the same problems. Jim has the off the shelf models ready to ship, but adding the switch and pot seems to add weeks to the timeline. I do think mine was worth the wait. Depending on the feedback you have for the 100K stacked pot, I may change mine over.

I think eventually I will try a set of Bart Classics in my 6, Peter Parker says they sound really good. Last time I was down in Greensboro Peter was on vacation so I didn't get a chance to check his out, but I am hoping to get down there sometime next month to try them.

While I had my SKB3005 apart waiting for my Demeter, I bought some shielding paint from StewMac and put 4 coats in the pickup and control cavities. I also put some copper in the bottom of the pickup cavities and soldered wires from the copper to the ground in the control cavity. I did notice a drop in noise after doing the heavy shielding. You will also notice the input jack from Demeter is much sturdier than what comes stock in the Roscoe.

Have you called Diane at Demeter to get an eta? She normally gets in around 12 noon PST.

5. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    James Demeter himself sent me an email yesterday. Looks like they ran into some delay.... it should be shipped this week...hopefully! It'slike the Roscoe delivery time "next two weeks" :D

The 100k pot should only change the smoothness of the taper, giving more long/accurate boost/cut. I'll see...

M

6. rjs6700

rjs6700

Jul 25, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    I've checked the website and that doesn't seem to tell me what i need. You also can't email them for help, just fax.

I'll try what you guys recommended.