Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini pickup identification.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Jun 9, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I bought a non-descript Bartolini bridge-width jazz pickup yesterday, with no model number scrawled on it. How can I tell if the thing is a humbucking pickup or simply just a single coil?

Would there be a way to tell the model number from the way it is wired?

:confused:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    based on my experience with Bart J pups, look at back of the pickup, you'll see where the coil taps are. Could you take a picture, or describe please?

But usually barts have the model number engraved/cut into the back copper plate, so this may well be older

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

Have had my share of Barts and some there is no Id on - whether they've got the copper backing plate or they're epoxy. Also, seems some of their single coil pups are set up like P's with two seperate sets of coils to be hum-canceling.

The Barts I have now that I know are single coils have 4 posts on the back - two on each side. And they're just a single wire with ground. The ones I have that I'm fairly sure are humbuckers have 5 posts on one side - similar to the MME pup. And they sound like a humbucker - dark J tone that can't brighten up like a single coil. But none of the Barts I've had have hummed when properly installed. If the pups are 4-wire, they're probably humbuckers.

4. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Here it is:

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    interesting. I've never seen one of those barts with the coil joining wire outside the housing.
    it's an in-line humbucker, can't tell you what winding number etc