Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini Pickup Manufacturing Delay?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Does anyone know of a delay in the manufacturing of Bart pickups? I have a Zon on order and it looks like the pups and electronics are delaying the order.

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I ordered my pups & pre from BestBassGear, & he was having the same issue on certain models.

My order consisted of:
    1 8SU P-Bass pup
    1 9L-#1 J-Bass pup
    1 NTBT 4.5AP Preamp

The 8SU never came in, so after 2 months of waiting, I decided to make a change to an 8CBP P-Bass pup. I received my goodies a couple of days later.

At this point, I'm waffling on deciding to have someone do my electronics, or doing it myself... I've gotta have a nut cut, so I'm thinking I'll just have it done then.

3. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to life with Bartolini pickups. This happens all the time. It's nothing unusual. Actually if you get your stuff on time that's unusual!! :confused:

4. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I've never really been exposed to the Bartolini state of business until now, having come from EMGs. I guess I'll just have to hang in there. You'd figure they'd support a mfr like Joe Zon.

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've experienced this as well. I had special ordered a Bart pickup and it took a couple months longer than originally anticipated. It was worth the wait though, and Brian from BestBassGear kept me up to date throughout the wait time.

6. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Here's my Bart story: I have a Zon Sonus fretless. I sent it in for fingerboard dressing and to have it recoated. Anyway, I wanted some flatter sounding Bart pickups. The fingerboard work was done in 1 week and the pickups took around 8 months. 8 months. I did not stutter. Some have taken longer. Good luck and have fun waiting, believe me Zon is just a frustrated as you are. Time for them to start making their own pickups don't you think?

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I have many Bart stories also but I've also got a few EMG and Bassline stories too. Welcome to the world of guitar/bass electronics. It could be worse........you could be waiting on Demeter! :D

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh. Yep. You beat me to it.

9. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Sounds like I should order my next bass tomorrow then, eh?

10. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    If you want Barts in it. :p

11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Maybe the bass makers should maintain a better stock of long lead time items. This is nothing new. Every industry has to deal with issues like this. I know in the HVAC industry we deal with several, shall I say problematic vendors, that supply sole source parts to us. We set up realistic lead times and maintain additional stock of those type parts. Bart's reputation is nothing new and well known. If I'm building basses an know I'm going to use Bart electronics and P/U's it's my job to make sure I have them in stock.

12. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I ordered a Pedulla Buzz bass with Bart P/J pups about three weeks ago. Mike told me that it would be about six to eight weeks to complete the bass. About a week after my order, Mike contacted me to say that he had an opening in production and that my bass would be ready in about three weeks! I expect to pick it up today or tomorrow! I guess Mike must have an ample supply of Barts in stock. :D

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, so long as you don't ask for anything out of the norm, you SHOULD be ok... For example, the 8S is THE Bart P-Bass pup. Sure, they make alot of different ones, but that's what's widely distributed, & if you want something else, that's going to cause the wait.

At least it did for me. I can't state for certain just yet, but the woods I choose, are going to result in a dark'ish bass,,, & the 8S's are defined as a dark, fat P... To me, dark + dark = mud... So, heaven forbid, I went outside the norm.

Brain @ BestBass was great... I felt bad, becuase he's a really helpful, nice guy to work with, & you can definately tell he wants to provide quality service, but being held hostage by this circumstance makes everyone a little crazy...

14. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Apparently, in a related thread, someone stated that Mr. Bartolini's wife was very ill which has most likely caused the delay. Prayers out to the Bartolini's.

15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Aye, while I was waiting on my pickup I was told that there was a very legitimate reason for the delays. :( Indeed, all the best to the Bartolinis.

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Sure puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

17. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    +1.

18. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I stopped making basses more than a decade ago because of this. Sure all suppliers can be bad but Bartolini is legendary. My longest wait was 16 months for an order they kept saying was in the box and just needed to be invoiced or some other story. I placed an order at one NAMM, brought my unfilled invoice to the next years NAMM and they said it was a fake and I was lying. That really ticked me off.

That said I still love their tone and bought a set from bestbassgear earlier this year. To Brians credit he promised me a delivery date or a full refund, when they were late he contacted me about the refund but I decided to stick it out and they ended up only a week late.

I found most suppliers in the guitar world to be flaky back then but Bart drove me mad with the phony "it's ready and will go out this week" line when it was still more than a year away.

On a more positive note I talked to a new guy at Bartolini a few years back who actually admitted they had a problem and said he was working hard to improve things. Apparently it has improved a lot.