Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini Pickup/pre circa 93 - Questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DennyOnBass, Mar 6, 2005.

1. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    Just got this Bartolini pickup and NBMT off of Ebay for my Modulus Sweetspot. It came out of a '93 Sweetspot.

[​IMG]

Anybody know for sure what the switch is for? The owner seems to think it might be a coil tap, but I'm thinking either active/passive switch or mid frequency selector.

I'm hoping to use this in conjunction with a Bartolini MBP and ABM piezo bridge. I'm also hoping to be able to run 18v instead of 9. Anybody know for sure if it's feasible?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Yep, almost bid on it myself - I'm the guy that asked the dimensions on it. 4 1/2" is more pup than I got bass. I'm fairly sure that's a quad pup so I'd bet that's a coil switch. Coil tap typically will have leads in multiples of 3 and seems it had 8 posts.

Install it and find out.

3. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    Yeah, I did some research last night and figured out it was more likely than not a coil tap. I found a PDF on wiring options on Bartolini's wonderful :eyebrow: website, so there shoudn't be any guesswork on how the coils are wired. If it isn't already set up for it I'm pretty sure I'm going to want the option of series/parallel.

I'm going to install this stuff as soon as it arrives and make sure it works, then deal with the piezo and buffer later. I'm thinking this is probably the 9 volt exclusive NBMT, but the buffer will run on 9 volt as well so I don't forsee any issues. I'm probably going to have my tech install a separate battery box to make more room in the control cavity.

Has anybody wired up MIDI capability with an ABM piezo bridge?

4. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Heh. I was the one who asked about shipping to Australia...

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I've shipped a few sets to Australia. In fact I've shipped pups USPS there quicker and cheaper (5 days for $5) than from Carolina to New Jersey. Ironically the guy in Jersey was a postal worker.