Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BrewThru03, Feb 8, 2004.

1. BrewThru03

BrewThru03

Jan 21, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Hi I am thinking about making a bass myself. I'm going to use my neck that I have now and make a new body. Also I want to buy a Bartolini pickup. I want it to sound just like flea's bass. If I buy justthe pickup will it come with everything I need to install it in my new body. Flea's is active do I need to buy something special go with the pickup or no?

Thanks

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you're talking about Flea's Modulus Flea bass, it has an onboard preamp but not an active pickup. His flea basses usually have the Lane Poor MM pup in there, sadly Lane Poor is no longer in business so it's very hard to come across those pickups.

The Bartolini CB range of pickups are supposed to be more open sounding than their previous pickups. They also offer new CX bright windings. I think one of those two is probably what you'd want to get.

As to what comes with the pickups, well it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. With bartolini, you get the wiring diagram and that's about that. You'll have to buy the potentiometers (pots) for volume/tone control. You don't say whether you're intending to put a preamp onboard the bass or not - Flea's basses have the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp in there if I remember correctly, if gives boost only on bass and treble.

Hope that helps