Bartolini Pickups and Pre-amps for Pedulla ET-6

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Josh Curry, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Hey, I'm hoping that some of you guys who are experienced with modifying the electronics in your basses will know the answer to this.

I have a Pedulla ET-6 that I've had for almost 10 years, recently the tone knob has started acting up. Checking the wiring inside shows that everything is fine. I've contacted Pedulla and It's going to cost me roughly $120+ to have them repair it. They have a $50 minimum for repairs, plus shipping and insurance costs for both ways. Yikes!

So anyway, instead of having it repaired, I'm considering having a brand new pre-amp installed. Specifically the Bartolini HR-5.4 which is actually a complete pre-amp and wired harness. My question is this: Will this harness work with my existing pickups? They are Bartolini, so I assume it will. Nowhere on the Bartolini site can I find where it says that you have to match up pickups with any specific pre-amp or harness or anything like that. It's almost like you can pick your pickups, pick your harness, and it will all work together no matter what. Knowing nothing about electronics or pickups or compatibilities I put this questiuon out there hoping that you guys will know. Thanks a lot!!!
  2. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I assume by ET-6 you mean a Thunderbass ET-6.

The Thunderbass preamp is made specifically by Bartolini for Pedulla for this bass. If you're happy with the tone of your bass, and you use the Thunderguts switch, you may not be happy with changes from a stock Bart preamp.

If you can find a local guitar tech to look at your bass, it may be a simple fix and cost a few bucks. You might just need to replace the one tone pot, probably run $10-20 if you can find someone local.
  3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    That is true that the pre-amp is supposedly custom made just for the ET-6 (yes, it is a Thunderbass ET-6) and honestly, the Thunderguts switch doesn't really seem to be anything more than the equivilent to a passive/active switch. It doesn't really do that much.

The reason I've got a bone to pick with this pre-amp is that I just got a new Spector Euro 5 and the sound of that totally smokes my ET-6. Now take into consideration that my ET-6 was more than double the cost and you can imagine how I'm a little peeved with my ET-6. :mad:

So, I want to upgrade the electronics to the best harness that Bartolini makes. Here's a basic comparison:

ET-6 has vol, blend, tone, switch

The HR-5.4 has vol, blend, bass, treb, mid, mid freqency select switch, and can run at 18v.

What the 5.4 lacks in so called "Thunderguts" I'm thinking will make up in tonal control and hotter signal.

I'm definitely going to keep the old pre-amp just in case though.