Bartolini pickups with Aguilar preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by razboinikoff, May 20, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I have Bartolini Classic bass jazz pickups on my 5 string bass. I'm looking to put Aguilar OBP-1 (two band) preamp in it.
    I play mostly rock music through a Gallien Krueger 400 RB and several 1x15" cabs

If someone have experience with Bart pu'ps with this preamp I'm all ears. :cool: :help:
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

long time since I've had an OBP-1 but my recall (which is consistent with everything I've read about the OBP-1) is that it was the most anemic of the common over-the-counter pres I've had (of 12 or so of 'em). However, a lot of players like it and I've heard it called "transparent" which is a positive reframe on anemic but there's something to that. Either way, basically it amounts to the bass is unlikely to sound any different with the OBP-1 - but you get some active boost - and I think treble boost. I know it has no cut.

In comparison to say the Bart NTBT which has bass/treble boost/cut and more of it. Which is most if not all of why I thought the OBP-1 was anemic - didn't change the pups from running it passively through pots that I could tell. The Bart NTBT and EMG BTC I could tell the difference. That is with all pre's in and out of a bass - not a side by side. A side by side I might have been able to tell a difference with the OBP-1. I did side by side with 3 bands as outboards but all the 2 bands were gone before I made outboards out of onboards. The OBP-3 has bass/mid/teble cut/boost - and I could tell a difference.
  3. Thank you, luknfur!

I have Bart NTMB in one of my basses (with MMC pickup) and I am happy with it, but I want something with a lower frequency of the treble control for my 5 string bass. Aguilar is a two band pre - bass @ 40Hz and treble @ 4 kHz which looks good on paper.

Can you recommend other preamp with treble around this register?
    Two band will be enough and I'm OK with the "boost only" controls.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't use preamps anymore so I'd have to go through the same search process to locate frequencies you would but here's the pre experiment info:

A demeter just sold in the TB classifieds for $75 and that's a good price for a demeter.

The easiest, cheapest, and most effective way to tweak treble frequencies is with capacitors - only a couple bucks a piece. You don't see them on overthecounter pres but I know of no reason they can't be incorporated into a pre harness.
  5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Isn't it interesting to get different perspectives. To me what you're describing there is the essence of a good preamp; when the controls are set flat, it should be very hard to tell it's in circuit. That way you get the tone of the pickups, the lower output impedance of the preamp and the ability to add some EQ if desired. Having a pre (or an amp or a cab) that has too much of a distintive shape/tone to it's sonics is too limited imo/ime, unless you never deviate far from that particular sound.

BTW, I like the OBP1.
  6. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Wassup Aussie? Yeh, lot's of players like 'em and that's why mentioned another common perception. Different strokes. But actually I was referring more to when it's not flat. I don't do onboard pre's at all any more but the flat setting to throw in independent equing is a good point.

For some reason I've gotten the impression all onboard pres aren't flat at the detents (seems Barts are) but seems it would a desireable aspect to design in.
  7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I don't have any experience with the OBP-1 but I have installed several OPB-3 pre's in basses with Barts. I also currently have a Roscoe 3006 and a Gecko 5 with Bart soap bars and the Aguilar OBP-3. They both sound great! I prefer having the mid control. I typically run it close to flat but I really like the way the mid control allows me to emulate a fretless sound and it's also great for some of those difficult venues where the bass seems to just get lost in the mix. A small boost with the mid control really helps me to cut through. I also have a Roscoe 3006 with the Demeter pre and another Gecko with the Bart 4.6 3-band pre. Both have Bart soap bars p/u's. The Aguilar is a great mix between the Bart and the Demeter. The Bart has great mids and nice lows but some what harsh high end. The Demeter has glassy highs, nice warm lows but is some what subtle in the mids. The Aguilar has nice clean highs, fairly good mid boost capabilites and nice clean lows. In terms of noise, they are all fairly quite but I'd rate them as follows: Bart, Aguilar and Demeter (with the Demeter being the quietest).