1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini pickups with EMG preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by B String, Oct 8, 2006.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Has anyone used an EMG preamp with Bartolini pickups?
    I have a BTC pre that I want to use with some M55cbc's.
    (like emg 45's)
    Any info or opinions.

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Sure, you can can use that BTC with
    your Bartolini CBs.

I use a BTS with the Lane Poor M3.5Ws in my Hamer 12-string. The only major wiring concern going with passive pickups is in using 250K or 500K potentiometers instead of the 25K pots which are used with the active EMGs.

I've got active/passive switches on both of my active basses. IMO, the BTS/BTC circuit does alter the tone of the instrument, even when set flat. With the EMG preamp I hear some treble boost with the preamp engaged. To my ears, going passive sounds more organic and dynamic, with a more natural sounding midrange.

In contrast, compared to running passive, I find that engaging the Bartolini NTBT preamp in my Pedulla Rapture 5 tends to dampen the extended highs of the Q-Tuner pickup. IMO, the Bartolini preamp is somewhat warmer sounding than the EMG.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the info. Anyone else? Hello???

4. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    The EMG preamp/pots will work with any passive pickup (more or less).

The question is will you like the effect/output. EMG has a patent on their rail system of electro-magnetics. Most*(not all) other pickups are wire wound around some kind of magnet structure. So EMGs preamp/controls are calibrated to boost their particular pickup flow. Its a decent experiment I guess.

I agree with 12bass in that BART is warmer than EMG. I have an EMG setup in a P Bass its very edgy and crisp but keeps the low/mid presence. The Bart NTMB 15f pre in my Tobias is softer sounding. I like soft, I like edgy, I bring both with me to every gig ussually.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021