Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bartolini pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Davidoc, Feb 6, 2002.

1. the pickups in my washburn B-2 concked out on me. Not having to to fool around with them, I simply replaced them with my long dormant Bartolini 8s. (whatever it's called) It sounds pretty good (nearly on par with the stock washburn pickups that i love) But the g string is more-or-less unplayable with the pickup... it's that harsh and high-pitched. Sounds like crap. Utter ****. I don't understand what the fuss about Crapalini is anyway.

2. Pickups need to be matched to the instrument.

A common misconception is that "Barts is Barts." Hardly. Bartolini offers at least two different windings for every magnetic structure and every shell that it makes, all of which are going to have subtly different sounds.

Are you sure it's the pickup, though? I've played a lot of really terrible G strings. Put on a set of DRs or some such and see if it doesn't sound any better.

I wouldn't call the company "Crapalini." Not by any means. :rolleyes:

3. thanks for the infoformation I'm just upset that i had to learn to sightread in 10th position overnight. (I need the bass for tomorrow; why i couldn't fuss with the stock pickup)

The reason i'm so sure it's the pickup is that it started sounding weird (coincidently? :rolleyes: ) when I put in the Bartolini.

4. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Again, are you using the stock preamp? You might try hooking them active to hear the difference. Your stock preamp might be adding the color to compensate the factory pickups.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've had Bartolinis on two different basses, and harsh is one word I would NEVER use to describe them. I would describe them as very warm and sweet. If yours are harsh sounding, there must be something wrong with them, maybe from being "long dormant". IMHO Bartolini makes the best pickups you can buy.

6. I've used them with an emg preamp (the problem?) and with a passive setup. The E, A, and D strings sound fine. The g's the problem.