Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini Preamp: 2 band or 3 band?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Aug 7, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Going to run volume-balance-tones with an MM3 at the bridge and hopefully a 9J #1 at the neck.

Does one of these preamps sound better than the other? Is the push-pull mid control worth it? Will the bass be WAY easier to get a pleasing sound with just a 2 band eq?

Please state your opinion and why.

Thanks!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's no difference in sound I've heard between the bart 3 band and 2 band with mid control flat.

I prefer 3 band because I play a lot of gigs at venues with house rigs so like to have maximum tone control at my fingertips. If I'm playing a boomy room, I can generally sort the issue out on my bass.

If I played every gig with my own amp rig, I'd be able to get by with 2 band eq or even passive if I wanted to.

3. I mostly use the bass and treble in my 3 band equalizer. I do like the pickup balance control better than 2 independent volume controls due to ease of use.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe it really depends on the tone you're getting from the bass. My Acacia 6 when it was running passive Lane Poors was already very mid-focused, especially with the emphasis on the bridge p'up.

I just dropped in a bart 3.3 NTBT 2 band harness (volume, blend, concentric T/B) to juice up the signal from the Lane Poors. Very very very happy with the tone. Not altered very much at all, but bigger lows and crisper highs. I described it as getting a good singer some voice training to be able to sing on broadway.

I had been considering one of the mid control units. I fiddle with my tone constantly. I don't think I miss that at all. The two-band system is super fine. The mids are still there...the highs and los just have the ability to catch up...or drop out if I cut.

Go with the 2 band. You'll save some room in the control cavity and the install will be a little easier.