Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini Preamp (Lane Poor PUs) Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Saint, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Anyone out there have experience installing a Bartolini 5.3 preamp harness? I've done other preamps before, but this is just driving me nuts. I can hook up my 2 Lane Poor MM Pickups to the blend pot and the switchcraft deep panel stereo jack and get sound in passive mode, but I can't get a thing out of the pre-amp. FYI I'm using a gotoh dual battery box wired in series for 18 volts of power.

Please, can someone suggest something that might help?!!
    Thanks.

2. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Anyone???

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've installed various bart preamps before, I think including a 5.3 but the number is really just a reference to the switch/pot config. The big difference is whether it's 2 band or 3 band, but this is 3 band.

Do you get output using only 9v? Have you experimented with the gain trim pot? I know you shouldn't have to, just curious if that makes any difference.
    Other things I'd check off the top of my head:
    1) battery -ve connected to jack
    2) all grounds to jack
    One thing you can do for test purposes: solder the battery -ve to the regular ground. This will mean the preamp is always on, but it'll let you know if maybe there's a problem with your cable or jack.

4. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    First - Thanks for your response; I appreciate the help.
    Second, let me take your questions as you asked them:
    a - I got no output using 9 or 18 volts of power.
    b - I experimented with the gain trim without success
    c- Battery -ve connected to jack: I'm not sure what the term means, but if you're asking whether I connected the black battery wire to the jack, the answer is "yes", although I'm unclear on where it is supposed to go on the switchcraft stereo jack. Having said that, I tried connecting it different ways and it didn't work.
    d - I believe I connected all grounds to the jack, but I may not have connected them well or to the proper lug on the jack.

Also, when you say "connect them all to the jack", do you litterally mean that the grounds from the neck pu, bridge pu, and preamp should all be connected to the same part of the jack and then grounded from there?

Thanks again.-+

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    c) Well usually it's wired so that the circuit is off when an instrument cable isn't inserted in the bass. You can wire the battery -ve (the black wire) to the same lug as other grounds, but this means the preamp is always on when a battery is connected. The only reason for doing this is sometimes to test if the lug on the jack is faulty or not.
    d) No, I mean that all grounds end up at ground. Whether you're grounding them all directly to the jack, or to the back of the same pot and then connecting the back of the pot to the jack.

What preamps have you installed before? Also, could you take some pictures?

6. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I've installed, carvin, emg btc system, and worked with one of the older 2-band bartolini pre-amps.

7. Bluebomber

Bluebomber

May 2, 2000
    Korea
    Im trying to install a 4.2 and im having the same type of problems. I dont want to take away from your forum, but i thought i might look over your shoulder and see if my problem is the same. After wiring it up, i get no signal, and a whole lot of hissing interference. This is my very first install, but i followed the directions exactly as shown. The one thing i think i might have messed up on is the grounding of the pickups. I have emg pickups and i grounded the sleeving of the wire to the pot. Is that what im supposed to do? David, you seem like you know youre way around these pretty well. Can you let me know where my problem might be, and how i can fix it. I can send you a picture if you need.

8. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    What kind of EMG pickups?

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you mean you soldered the outer braid to the back of the vol pot, and the inner wire to the volume pot input lug, then yes.

How is the volume pot itself grounded? Are you running a wire to ground from the vol pot, or what? I'm also assuming you joined the battery wires (I'm assuming active EMG's) on the pickups to the red +ve battery wire.

And yes, post photos if possible. Otherwise it gets very tricky to diagnose remotely.

10. Bluebomber

Bluebomber

May 2, 2000
    Korea
    The pickups were soldered like you said. The outer braid on the back of the pot (in my case a blend pot). Im not sure if they are active pickups or not. they are dc-35 i think. Do you wire them differently if they are active pickups? I did connect the battery to the preamp like the directions said to. However i didnt connect a wire from the bottom of the pot to the ground on the input jack. Do you have to do that as well? Do you have to connect a wire from the bottom of all the pots to the ground on the jack? Is there a specific way to do it? i.e. in series? parallel? Would that cause no signal?

11. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    So, I've tried a different jack, different grounding, checked connections as best I can, and I still get NO SOUND from my pre-amp. Definitely some current running through as I get clicks when I flip the mid-selector switch with the pre-amp on, but still no sound!!

Any further suggestions? I can't believe I spent more than $100 on a Bartolini pre-amp and I can't get it to work!

12. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Well, I tried a different jack and double checked the batteries and changed the grounding and STILL NO SOUND FROM MY EXPENSIVE AS HELL BARTOLINI PRE-AMP!!

HELP!!!!!!

13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I guess he can ask again for you to post photos. Or you can shout some more. Your choice.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, without photos it's tough to do anything. With photos, I still might not see anything but it's worth a shot.
    Here's one thing to try. I did have one faulty bart preamp where the bass boost not only didn't work, but prevented any sound coming out at all while in centre detent or boost mode. As soon as I put it in cut, I got a sound.
    I ended up having to return it for replacement.
    So maybe, try all eq knobs with a slight cut and if that doesn't work then all with a slight boost or different combinations.

15. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Dave - Thanks so much for that! I had been so convinced it was my fault that I hadn't checked the pre-amp beyond whether the connections were good. In other words, while I was checking for a loose wire, it never occurred to me that the folks at Bartolini may have screwed up.

Well guess what: they did! The push-pull volume pot, which I guess is added later, was wired incorrectly!! The connections were good, but a sound-carrying wire was soldered to the wrong lug on the volume pot!!!

Thanks!!!! Now that it's working, I'll try to post some pictures of the bass in the future (the future being as soon as I get a working digital camera).