1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini preamp quality of install.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BbBlues, May 25, 2012.

1. BbBlues

BbBlues

Jan 6, 2008
    Saratoga, NY
    I just got back my mim jazz with the bartolini hr3.3 preamp. I love how it sounds but was a bit dissapointed on how it looked/felt. The bass/treble knob has a plastic feel instead of the rubber feel that other basses with a stock bart pre and the pots stick out a bit farther then before.

I guess my question is - is this normal or should i question the work?

2. WaskoDS

WaskoDS

Nov 22, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    Is your complaint with the knobs? Just get other ones.

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    From the Bartolini preamp FAQ at bestbassgear:

So, the knob on the stacked pot is likely the only one that actually shipped with the preamp. Also, the pots are designed to fit on basses with the control cavity on the back, so the shafts are long enough for that. The person doing the installation should have been able to put washers on top of the pot to bring the knobs down closer to the top of the thinner Jazz control plate.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have a Bart 3.3AP preamp in my jazz. It is a solid feeling install. I had my tech put on some nice metal knobs. The concentric knobs that came with the pre were cheap plastic. No way, I was putting that on there.

5. BbBlues

BbBlues

Jan 6, 2008
    Saratoga, NY
    I guess the shats and washers stick out farther then i would like. The comment back panel acces makes senae to me. Im sure new knobs will make it look nice.

Thanks for the imput

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here's a pic of my install which also shows the knobs.

Attached Files:

7. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I really like where the preamp module and the batteries are in that.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My bass tech is also an evil genius! He has solved quite a few riddles we have come across over the years! He's an engineer by day! With this install, he was frustrated that he couldn't get everything under the control plate, so I gave the go ahead to route and an hour later, the install was completed!

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's the old school way. :D I'm seeing that more and more these days. I did my 2 Rics like that. There were no battery boxes back then. It worked well until I had to undo all those pickguard screws to change the battery! Not the end of the world though.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

He wanted to do battery boxes. I told him no to go ahead and route under the pg. Removing a few screws 2x's a years is no sweat.

11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I agree.