1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini Preamp Wiring????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Christov, Nov 1, 2006.

1. I have a Bartolini preamp that I removed from a Pedulla MVP-5 bass when I upgraded the electronics. I am unsure of the model or wiring, since like an idiot I didn't write down the original wiring before removing it. The preamp looks like a TC-1, TC-2, TC-3, or TC-4 package. It only has 4 wires however. Two black wires which are still connected to a tone potentiometer, and a blue and a green wire. There is no red or yellow wire, only the blue and green that are unconnected. I am unsure of what those two wires are, or where to connect the 9 volts from the battery. Any tips?
    Thanks.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I'd contact Pedulla. Pretty helpful folks - and accessible (unlike Bart).

Any pre I know requires 3 free leads to wire: battery and pre in and out.

3. I did contact Pedulla today, and they said the bass was too old for them to have record of. The MVP-5 I removed this from was made in 1994 and they said the preamps of the time were different from model to model and not standardized as far as wiring or color coding of the wires.

4. xyllion

xyllion Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Minimum wires for a preamp: V+ (battery positive), ground, audio in, and audio out.

You can figure it by trial and error. If the preamp starts to get hot, disconnect the power immediately because you've wire the power wrong.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Well people are critters of habit and green for Bart is usually pre out and black ground.

There should be more than just the pre and a pot?

Where do the black wires to the pot go?

I'm suprised there wasn't somone at Pedulla that could remember, or at least give you pretty accurate direction from knowing what you've got to work with. It's not like the options are astronomical.

6. Thanks for the replies!! As mentioned there are two black wires which are connected to the blend pot. This pot is a concentric dual pot. There are only 2 other wires a blue and a green. By looking at the old volume pot the blue wire went to it, so that leaves the green I presume for my +9 volt feed. I will play with it this weekend with my oscilloscope, this will allow me to see the input and outputs and to monitor gain and distortion.