Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bartolini preamp with sweepable/para mids?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fiebru1119, Jan 31, 2005.

1. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Is there a bart preamp out there that has this feature. I played a Roscoe that had a mid function that had a sweep knob where you choose the mid freq. Does this only come custom in Roscoe basses?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there's no barts out there I know of that have sweepable mids, all I've seen have had selectable between several frequencies.
    Do you know what make of preamp was in the roscoe? I've seen Roscoes with aguilar preamps (which can have sweepable mids) and demeter preamps (don't know if they can have sweepable mids).

3. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    no I dont know what preamp it had.. I just assumed it was a bart. I'll look into the Aguilar, even though I'd rather stay w/a bart pre for a fretless bass. Thanks

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    EMG and John East are two that I know have a swepable mid function, and to my knowledge there isn't a Bart pre with sweepable mids.

David-
    Do you know what the frequency range sweep is on the Aguilar?

FWIW, I think that a sweepable mid is a super idea and I wish more preamps offered such a feature.

5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Between 400 and 800 Hz.
    you can also install a 2-way switch for these freqs.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I agree it gives you the most flexibility for sure. But for me, it's just another knob I'll mess with. I like the IDEA of sweepable mids, but in live use I've preferred the 2/3 position mid freq select switch.

7. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I'm with David here. I've got 3 position mid selector switches in my Laklands (250, 500, 800 Hz) and those give me all the mid variation I need: I use the 250 when the bridge pickup is soloed and the song moves a lot on the higher strings; 500 if I play mostly on the bottom. The 800 setting is nice if I want a little bit more definition when I roll down the treble or if I want to get rid of some mids for slap (rarely).

keep groooovin'
    Fran