1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini Preamps without Bart Pickups: How are they?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Jan 4, 2012.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    So madbassplaya and I are chatting about upgrades and whatnot and he posed a question to me about Bart preamps in general...

Now I've had numerous basses with them, but they had Bart pickups and I will say unabashedly that I HATE the sound of Bartolini pickups. I've tried their different pickups with other brands of preamps (and passive), but found that the pickups were what made me sad. For my playing style, they don't work and I'll leave it at that.
    I never had the chance to swap the pickups in basses that had the bart pre, they ended up sold before I could do so.

I've had EMG, Aguilar, Sadowsky, East, Audere, Musicman, Tone Pump, and maybe others. All of those, I've tried with pickups of different varieties that made me happy, so I feel qualified enough to judge their qualities against what Bart makes.

So... how do Bartolini preamps sound in comparison to others, when not mated to Bart pickups in particular?

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Thanks for posting the thread Big Red! :)

I'm looking for the best value in a preamp. Something that has usable bass boost and treble boost. I've been told that Aggie pre's are very boomy and adjusting the bass frequency a touch will boost it tremendously. I don't want that.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

4. NOW THAT, is a killer tone. Loving it, might make me consider throwing in some delanos now :bassist:..

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

LOL! I'm already planning to mod my P-Bass!

6. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Dang! I was so looking forward to hearing this link when I got home where I could run it through studio monitors, but the reverb-y sound of the room completely washed the tone away. It was a good effort (no one else has posted this combination) I just wish I could have heard some of that massive sound.

7. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    From what I can tell then, the Bart Preamp is a lot like the Aguilar... when you adjust the bass control up, it gets pretty huge, quickly.

8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    I don't have recordings, but when I used to own a Sadowsky I installed a set of Nordstrand DC and a Bart pre… very nice combo. Articulated, thick but still smooth…

Another pre to be considered is the Nordstrand's. Definitely very trasparent and with the frq ctrl more usable ("only" +/-12db). Not boomy at all..

M

9. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

The only thing I like about Bartolini are their preamps. But they are a little on the "large" side. Aggies are great....and small. U/JRetros are great, but expensive. I use all three in several of my basses....they all pretty much sound the same to my ears. The only time I felt the bass control got too boomy on any of them was when boosting it over 3/4.

As you already know, pickups play a huge role, too. But to answer your question....yes, Bart preamps sound great.