Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini preamps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funky Doctor, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I am curious about the eq curves on bart preamps. Ok, say, for example, I was using a 3 band bart eq, and I had all the controlls set flat. That is, all the knobs were at the indent bit. Would the eq curve of the preamp be flat? Or would there be a slight treble and bass curve going on? I am asking this because I keep reading different hings here and there, and I WANT a preset eq curve when set flat. Anyone?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not sure I'd say it's a preset eq curve, but I feel the highs are a bit muted with the bart preamp. It works in some basses, not in others for me.
    If you're looking for a preamp with a bass/treble curve when 'flat', look at the JRetro/URetro

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

The NTMB at least is flat when set at the detents. Whether that's in reference to boost/cut, curve, or both, don't know. You can call Bart and they're can tell you and they're prompt about returning calls if not answered directly.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

The NTMB at least is flat when set at the detents. Whether that's in reference to boost/cut, curve, or both, don't know. In my recollection, there seemed to be overlap in the curves so adjusting a mid range switch affects the other bands, at least that's how it struck me from what I remember. Don't use preamps anymore. You can call Bart and they're can tell you and they're prompt about returning calls if not answered directly.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    My experience with the Bart preamp matches what David said. I find the Bart preamp to exhibit a rolled off high end when the knobs are set flat. The U Retro seems to pass more highs when set flat although it is also capable of rolling off the highs if you choose to.

In a bass that is naturally very bright, I like the Bart preamp.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Exactly, it sounds just great in my Elrick. I tried an Aguilar in it, and it just sounded far too bright.