Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini preamps...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jiden, Jun 10, 2002.

1. jiden

jiden

Jun 12, 2001
    Saint Paul
    I am hoping that someone can shed some light on my situation. I own a Brian Bromberg 5 string by Peavey. I took out all the electronics and pickups and replaced them with Lane Poor pickups and electronics. The problem is Lane went out of business as you all probably know and I am left with a preamp with no active tone controllers. I am interested in the Bartolini ntmb183g preamp and possible the bartolini MPB2-918 to use with the wilkenson bridge with piezo pickups. The piezo option is not as important as just getting a good preamp but would be nice if I could incorporate it. Does it make sense to use these two bartolini components together with my lane poor and wilkenson bridge? Does anyone recommend any other options I might consider? Thanks for any information and/or advice. John Iden

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a Bartolini preamp in my Modulus. I like it very much.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a Bart pre in any bass, but they do tend to have destinctive color. If I was fortunate enough to have a nice, working set of Lane Poors, I would look for the most transparent preamp avaiable. Something that is really going to let the voicing of the LPs shine. I would especially do this if I was also considering the addition of the piezo elements.

I wish I had some recomendations. I haven't experimented with a great number of preamps.

I would look at the U-retro preamp as well. I haven't played one, but I doubt so many people would be puting them in their vintage jazz basses if they were not transparent.

Chas