Bartolini preamps...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jiden, Jun 10, 2002.

1. jiden

Jun 12, 2001
    Saint Paul
    I am hoping that someone can shed some light on my situation. I own a Brian Bromberg 5 string by Peavey. I took out all the electronics and pickups and replaced them with Lane Poor pickups and electronics. The problem is Lane went out of business as you all probably know and I am left with a preamp with no active tone controllers. I am interested in the Bartolini ntmb183g preamp and possible the bartolini MPB2-918 to use with the wilkenson bridge with piezo pickups. The piezo option is not as important as just getting a good preamp but would be nice if I could incorporate it. Does it make sense to use these two bartolini components together with my lane poor and wilkenson bridge? Does anyone recommend any other options I might consider? Thanks for any information and/or advice. John Iden
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a Bartolini preamp in my Modulus. I like it very much.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a Bart pre in any bass, but they do tend to have destinctive color. If I was fortunate enough to have a nice, working set of Lane Poors, I would look for the most transparent preamp avaiable. Something that is really going to let the voicing of the LPs shine. I would especially do this if I was also considering the addition of the piezo elements.

I wish I had some recomendations. I haven't experimented with a great number of preamps.

I would look at the U-retro preamp as well. I haven't played one, but I doubt so many people would be puting them in their vintage jazz basses if they were not transparent.