Bartolini Problems

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sjl2725, Mar 24, 2014.

1. sjl2725

sjl2725

Dec 18, 2010
    Branson, MO
    Ive had my Tobias Basic 5 since 1996. I had the original electronics replaced in about 1998 because the 9v system was acting weird. The replacement was the Ns2tmb18 system and I am now having problems with it.

Getting a strange crackling sound on occasion, sometimes it gets really bad. If I tap on the mid module (assuming that's what it is) I can trigger it, or stop it. Last time I got it to stop I moved the black wire on the mid module a little right at the module housing. But the static came back within a week. There is no rhyme or reason to this noise. Moving knobs can make it worse, tapping on the body, or wiggling the jack (which I just installed). Saturday night in my show, I had to bail out to my backup bass. Last night I made it through with no problems. Clueless.

(Im getting to my main question)
    This only started after installing a new jack and replacing both batteries. Since the noise started, I have updated a couple of grounding points. But still no solution.

Now, my point: Assuming no one has any advice on what is causing this and that it is just age and moisture etc, I have no problem replacing the electronics. But will a new system sound as good as my system from 1998? I love this bass and the way it sounds. (minus the static).

And, the Ns2tmb18 diagram shows 1 mini pot, and mine has 3. Plus, the wire colors on the diagram don't match whats in my bass.

Sorry for being long winded

2. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    spray some contact cleaner on everything really well.

3. As long as you use a Bartolini 2-band or 3-band (whichever is in your bass), I don't see why your bass would sound any different. Bartolini is Bartolini.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't think the preamp modules have changed at all. As long as the pickups work properly you should have no issues with a replacement preamp module. Pots may be bad. If you buy from www.bestbassgear.com, it'll all be prewired with new pots and ready to go. Just wire in your pickups.

5. I think you just answered your own question.

6. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I think one of your wires on the mid pot are starting to break. If they used the same wire type then as they do now it breaks very easy. I've broken like 3 or 4 on my NTMB and found ways of fixing it.

Like bongostealth said, i believe the modules have gone unchanged in design for a long time.

7. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I agree, the wiring soldered to the pots seems to get brittle and deteriorate after a couple years. I have had to do a few solder repairs. Yep, the NASA Soldering Specification Training I had when I worked installing Nuclear Instrumentation Systems on Carriers and Subs has paid off over the years. :D

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021