Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini pup wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duckbutter, Jun 1, 2005.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I just bought a pair of used Barts from a friend for $20 and help wiring them up.
    I want to get the maximum potential out of the MM pup, but it looks like the way it’s wired it can’t be split.
    The J pup looks okay (unless otherwise advised).
    There’s also the TCT preamp (Treb, Mid, Bass) that I’ll try and find schematics for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

2. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Had a problem with the pics....
    [​IMG]

3. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    And here's the back...
    [​IMG]

Sorry guys :rolleyes:

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  5. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    From what I can tell, it looks like it's set up as a two conductor...the wire coming from the pickup has 2 wires.
    Can it be changed to a 4 conductor ?

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

If the pup has 3 or 4 posts then you should be able to run series parallel. Probably not if only two. Take a meter and do a continuity check at the posts. If it's 4 post, they should be paired up as the start and finish of each coil. Usually Bart will ground at least one of the posts to the backing plate.

If it only has 3 post, probably one pair is the start and finish with the remaining one the start of the other coil. The finish being internally ran to ground.

An issue with Barts is they're low output. So frequently they internally hard wire pups in series (even with some quad coil pups) to increase output so most of their pups only have a hot lead and a ground braid enclosed in a black jacket. There can be excessive discrepancy in impedance matching with another pup if not wired as such and remarkably low output tends to not sell pickups. If you have plenty of amp it's rarely an issue - unless you swap basses midset and forget to compensate.

Also the TCT pre requires an MCT mid unit which I don't see. Mid circuitry may have been incorparated onto the mid pot so if there's no mid with that, you might see if the guy's got the mid pot cause it would be useless to him without the pre and the pre is pretty useless to you without a mid. I've heard otherwise but, to my knowledge, it can't be wired as a two band and there's no Bart diagram for it short of the trim pot/cap diagram - which is really 3 band with a control that can only be adjusted within the control bay.

7. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I'm not at home now, but I post what the pre-amp says.
    I do know he only used 4 knobs (Vol/Vol/Treb/Bass) when he had it set up on his bass.

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Kinda hard to tell what's going on with the back of the MM pickup, but if it's like the Bart Rickenbacker pickups I have, you should be able to do the four-conductor thing. The bridge position pickup I have comes with four-conductor wire stock. The neck pickup, though it has four posts, comes stock with a two-conductor wire and is wired in series by default, but I experimented with using a four-conductor wire instead to try out some series/parallel stuff with it. Since that MM pup appears to have four posts, you might be able to do the same thing.