Bartolini pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Jul 18, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I see people saying that they have replaced their stock pickups with Bartolini's all the time (with a variety of instruments) and I want some info.
    I have a Carvin LB70P that I am really happy with however I heard a friend playing a G&L L2000 recently and OMG, wow, that tone was just wonderful. I wish that I could approximate it with my current bass.

I feel like my bass has a good tone but I am looking for more. I want more dynamics, a broader spectrum to choose from. Ideally, I would just buy a couple more basses but 1st baby just arrived & my wife says no new toys for awhile so....... :crying:

Please, tell me about those Bart's. I know that a number of you have installed them, tell me about the tone, the options, the pros/cons, hey -- tell me anything :help:

2. If you got to pickups faq there a link to different pickup reviews. Bartolinis are good pickups. I have a carvin and I replaced the pickups in it. I put some dimarzio ultra jazz's in it. If you can get the bass player mag pickups shootout that would help to. Bartolini, seymour duncans and dimarzios ~~~ make good pickups and will sound better than those carvin ones. I know unless your bass is active the bartolini do have a lower output. But I like them.
    -eric

3. I like bartolini's in an active setup.
    In a passive setup, the 9J#1's are a little on the darkside but they exibit excellent clarity.

4. Lefty,
    What type of pickups are on the LB70 that you have? Is it one J pickup and one MM pickup? I was going to reply and I realized that my reply might not make sense depending on your setup.

5. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Yes fretlessrock, 1- J & 1-MM

6. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I think Seymour Duncans would be closer to an L-2000, but I think you'd need a 2-band preamp as well.

7. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well, i can't vouch for the MM style. I have the 9K#1 series J pick ups. I installed a 3 band EQ (bartolini). It has a vol/vol (stack), mid push in freq selector switch, bass/treble (stack). The barts have amazing versitility. I'm able to get that nasty really twangy sound i despise. I can also get a very meaty, low growl that I love. I can also dial in some 'vintagier' tones. Now it'd be more of the pre-amp I imagine that the pick ups. But I may be wrong. The set with the pre-amp ran me 270, so its a fairly steep price I guess.