Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Jul 18, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I see people saying that they have replaced their stock pickups with Bartolini's all the time (with a variety of instruments) and I want some info.
    I have a Carvin LB70P that I am really happy with however I heard a friend playing a G&L L2000 recently and OMG, wow, that tone was just wonderful. I wish that I could approximate it with my current bass.

I feel like my bass has a good tone but I am looking for more. I want more dynamics, a broader spectrum to choose from. Ideally, I would just buy a couple more basses but 1st baby just arrived & my wife says no new toys for awhile so....... :crying:

Please, tell me about those Bart's. I know that a number of you have installed them, tell me about the tone, the options, the pros/cons, hey -- tell me anything :help:

2. If you got to pickups faq there a link to different pickup reviews. Bartolinis are good pickups. I have a carvin and I replaced the pickups in it. I put some dimarzio ultra jazz's in it. If you can get the bass player mag pickups shootout that would help to. Bartolini, seymour duncans and dimarzios ~~~ make good pickups and will sound better than those carvin ones. I know unless your bass is active the bartolini do have a lower output. But I like them.
    -eric

3. I like bartolini's in an active setup.
    In a passive setup, the 9J#1's are a little on the darkside but they exibit excellent clarity.

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Lefty,
    What type of pickups are on the LB70 that you have? Is it one J pickup and one MM pickup? I was going to reply and I realized that my reply might not make sense depending on your setup.

5. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Yes fretlessrock, 1- J & 1-MM

6. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I think Seymour Duncans would be closer to an L-2000, but I think you'd need a 2-band preamp as well.

7. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well, i can't vouch for the MM style. I have the 9K#1 series J pick ups. I installed a 3 band EQ (bartolini). It has a vol/vol (stack), mid push in freq selector switch, bass/treble (stack). The barts have amazing versitility. I'm able to get that nasty really twangy sound i despise. I can also get a very meaty, low growl that I love. I can also dial in some 'vintagier' tones. Now it'd be more of the pre-amp I imagine that the pick ups. But I may be wrong. The set with the pre-amp ran me 270, so its a fairly steep price I guess.