1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bartolini Quad Coil into Blend pot - Possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pogipoints, Apr 2, 2013.

1. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm looking at replacing a no-name MM pickup with a Bartolini DL52 CBJD quad coil, and am looking at wiring possibilities. I've seen the wiring configurations for front/quad/rear, and all the P/reverse P stuff too. But I haven't found any mention of putting the front & rear coil pairs into the 2 sides of a blend pot. Is this even possible?

If it is at all possible, I imagine it should sound close to the Warwick Thumb 5, with the 2 jazz pickups close to the bridge. Obviously this is pure speculation on my end :)

2. gr8fulhiker

gr8fulhiker

Mar 24, 2008
    I’ve got a Tobias Growler with a Bart quad coil and a blend pot. So in your case, it should be doable. If you can track down a wiring schematic for the Growler, that might help get you started. Someone from the Tobias Growler club may have one.

3. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I think Lakland is doing something remotely similar with their LH3 system.
    Altough they are switching both coils of the rear MM, not blending.

4. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    It's possible. I don't have a schematic for it here and I don't have the time to draw it up at the moment, but I will as soon as I can.

How many conductors does your quad-coil have?

5. pogipoints

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    I am still contemplating on the purchase, waiting for affirmation that blending the front/real pairs can be done. Although from the responses here so far, it looks like it IS possible and has been done already :bassist:

Here's what I found regarding Bart's quad coils:
    http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/pickups/passive/switching/6cnd_sw1.pdf

Thanks! And that goes for every one of you who have responded!

6. BassGyver

BassGyver

Jun 29, 2004
    Belgioum
    I had a blend pot in my "Maple Monster" Warwick Thumb with a MM sized pickup (stock pu was a SD SMB5D) to mix between the 2 coils.

As the 2 coils are quite close and similar, the sound is not very different between the two coils, and the blend pot did not add much versatility (very little sound difference).

I replaced the blend pot with a 3P4T rotary switch to get neck coil/both in paralell/bridge coil/both in series (and used it for my big MM pu testing) to get 4 different sounds.

It does not sound like a real Thumb bass, because it's a MM pu and not 2 JB pu.

[​IMG]

7. You can blend any combination of two signal sources. Just because you can, however, doesn't necessarily mean that you should. In my personal opinion, there is not enough difference between two coils that are right next to each other to make it worth the drawback of using a blend. It's easier and more practical to use a switch.

8. pogipoints

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    Good point about the blend not doing much, the coils are only about an inch apart.

Anyway, now that I know I have a lot of options with that quad coil, I'll go ahead and buy it. Maybe I'll play around and see which configurations I prefer. Hopefully I'll have the time and the patience to do that :bag:

Thanks again everyone!