Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini quad coil soapbars?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lockout, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Anyone have experience with these? I noticed them a few days ago while looking through Bartolini's site. I've been looking for some versatile yet warm pickups to put in my Spector NS2000/5 5er, and it seems like a pair of these would be my best bet.

However, I have a few questions.

1) Can anyone explain to me exactly what the difference in sound is between the C/CX models? The Bartolini site doesn't give a very detailed explanation of the differences. It seems like the general consensus is that the CX version is more clear, bright, and focused than the C, while the C has a more rounded, yet not as clear sound. Is this a correct assumption? Or is there more to it than that?

2) Do any certain combinations of these pickups work better than others? For example, I remember reading a post by someone who had put a C in the neck position and CX in the bridge position with good results. Are there any other combinations that would work well in my Spector? I'm mainly looking for a warm, smooth sound with lots of low midrange, but I also want to be able to get some nice slap tones out of it.

3) Could someone describe all the possible variations that can be created within one of these pickups? The Bartolini site doesn't go into much detail with this either. I know several of the possible variations, but I don't know them all.

4) Is it possible to set my bass up to get all the variations out of each pickup without mutilating my bass too much? (I don't mind drilling for a switch or two, but any more than that is a little excessive.)
    I am planning to get an Aguilar OBP-3 and setting it up with 2 volume pots, a stacked bass/treble pot, and a stacked mid/midfrequency pot, so depending on how many possible configurations there are, I might not be able to utilize them all.

Wow, long post. I hope that all made sense. :)

Thanks in advance.

2. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I have no answer for you what so ever, but...

I'd love to know too... plus I'd REALLY love to see the schematic when it's done!

I'm SO lazy :D

ek

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you do a search (I think 'quad coil*') you'll find a good few threads, including one with wiring instructions.

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I searched around the forums a bit the other day, and found some info on these pickups, but not really enough to answer my questions. That's why I made this post. ;)

Concerning the coil variations, I know it can do P and reverse-P, but what else can it do? J? Anything else? And could someone explain to me how series/parallel fits into all these variations? Could I use a push-pull volume pot to switch between parallel & series and an on-on-on switch to change between P, reverse-P, J, or whatever other combinations there are? Or would this not work correctly?

I couldn't really find a whole lot of info comparing the C and CX pickups (does Bartolini make any other versions of their M4 quad coil or is it just these two?) and their advantages/disadvantages, so if anyone's got any personal experience with either of these, I'd like to hear your thoughts. :)

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  6. I don't know if mine are the C or CX models. But, I have mine set up like this:

Neck pup: P, rev. P, and full humbucking.

Bridge pup: Lower coils (J style) series, and parallel.

I have a 2 band Bart preamp, and the controls are; Volume (push/pull active/passive), Blend, Bass, and Treble. And I have 2 three way toggles to select the coils.

So, 4 knobs, and 2 switches. I also have an On/Off switch, but that's not part of the controls.

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I see. :)

Just a few more questions:

Can any of you describe what the reverse-P coil configuration sounds like? I've never played a bass with a reverse-P-style pickup.

Also, these Barts are passive, correct? So I could wire in an active/passive switch if I chose to? (not really considering it, just wondering.)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hard to say... a lot depends on the instrument.

You could wire a preamp active/passive with the quadcoils. I have Brubakers set up this way.

9. I can't really describe the difference with reverse P, but I seem to like Reverse when active, and regular P when passive. Just sounds right.

And I'm sure you can just have a toggle switch to select between active and passive, I just like having mine on my volume pot.