1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini Quad Coils with a Stereo Split

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dan Pool, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Dan Pool

Dan Pool

Apr 10, 2015
    I'm trying to work out a pickup setup for an 8 string bass I'm building. It looks like most of the 6 string Bartolini pickups will work with my string spread, but I'm trying to split the output such that the lower 4 strings go out stereo left and the upper 4 go out stereo left. Can you do this with the Bartolini quad coils? I like the 6 string J style pickups, but it looks like they have discontinued them. While some vendors are still carrying them, I can't find any wiring diagrams on Bartolini.net.

Specifically, I'm looking at the BRP59CBJS-S1 and the BRP59CBJD-S1. Is anyone familiar enough with these pickups to know if they can be split in the way that I'm speaking of?

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Bart quad coils don't come wired that way; they're set up for p-style offset split, reverse p, and all four coils (six wires coming out of the pickup, the diagonal pairs are hard-wired together internally).

You can probably order some that have all four coils available (eight wires coming out of the pickup).

For your specialized purpose, it seems like you could use two individual pickups set up like an extra large P pickup.

If you want to get something custom made from Bartolini, I'd advise contacting the folks at BestBassGear.com; they've got an established working relationship with Bartolini and can help with getting that done.

3. Dan Pool

Dan Pool

Apr 10, 2015
    It seams like if you had access to doing a P-style and reverse P-style, you could also do two side by side humbuckers.

4. Dan Pool

Dan Pool

Apr 10, 2015
    I look at that diagram and feel like I'm missing information. There are two ends of wire coming out of each coil. How are those represented in this drawing? I just see ten terminals on a pickup; what's happening internally is a mystery.

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    I think if you split the red and blue jumpers on the 6-wire pickup, you'll have all 4 coils avail, individually. Bart links them for their wiring options.

6. Dan Pool

Dan Pool

Apr 10, 2015
    Thanks JustForSport. Anyone know if those jumpers are external, or are they buried in epoxy?

I got a response back from Bartolini. Clyde says they're pretty swamped right now, so it's taking them a few days to respond to emails. I'm not sure he understood the question I was asking. He was thinking I was asking for inline humbuckers based on his response, but if you can run them in line or staggered like a P pickup, I would think you could also do a traditional front to back humbucker on each side. I sent him the attached drawing for a reference just to clarify, but based on how long it took him to get back with me before, I may not hear from him until some time middle of next week.

Attached Files:

7. Dan Pool

Dan Pool

Apr 10, 2015
    Just wanted to come back with the answer to this question. Sorry for double posting, but I thought it would be best to keep this post separate for clarity.

I got a response from Clyde Clark, founder of Bartolini, on this question. Before I provide his response I need to put in a plug for his company. These guys have great customer service and are incredibly knowledgeable and personable. Clyde's a standup guy and deserves your business. I am now a dedicated, life-long customer.

Here's his response:
    Hi Dan,

1. Correct. The pickups can be wired as end-to-end humbuckers as described. You will need to add an additional 4-conductor cable to the pickup like this:

blob1428974561106.

So there it is folks. This is possible and Clyde drew me a nice picture knowing that I'm a novice at the electronics side of things.

In case you were wondering what question 2 was about, I'll let you in on a little secret:

Musicians Friend, Music 123, Music and Arts, and Guitar Center all have incorrect titles for a great number of their pickups. This, on their websites and their respective eBay stores. So for instance, the title of the listing may be:
    Bartolini 6-String Bass P2 Soapbar Quad Coil Bridge Pickup​

While the description says this:
    Fender Jazz Bass (J Bass) replacement 'short' pickup for the neck

The description goes on to say that it is for 5 strings and is a single coil pickup. So, if you are purchasing pickups from any of these dealers, you may want to read the description carefully to make sure that's what you want.