Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini quad pickups: Questions.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Apr 17, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I have a set of both the P and J Bartolini quad pickups and I am thinking of wiring them into my Fender Hot Rodded P.

Questions:

1. How do the Bartolini quad pickups sound? As opposed to the 8S/9JL?

2. Will the two pickups be well - matched in this configuration?

3. Will they have enough output to be wired passive or will it be low?

4. Do the quads provide any advantage over the straight 8S and 9JL configuration?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

maybe I'm missing something here but if you have the pups, why not just install them and find out?

3. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    It's going to cost money, and I want to be sure I should mess with the HRP.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what's the model number of the P you have, I didn't know they made a quad coil P. I know they (used to) make a quad coil J.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Haven't had those quads but I've had 94J's and an MM4 and those quads were pretty much signature Bart in tone, little more clear with more pronounced top end maybe.

But I've had lots of pups and you can never really know what you've got till their dropped in - especially any pups with characteristics that are similar. A small difference can be major under given circumstances. The acoustic properties of any given bass alone will affect the tone of the pups differently - and that's just one variable of MANY. To determine specifics, they have to installed and played over time.

6. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

I'm thinking maybe the Quad P would be less well-matched than the 8S with the Quad J as presumably it has higher output? :confused:

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep, looks like 2 coils per half. Their quads don't put out any more of any significance that I could tell. Only difference I could tell was previously described.

But you could split the coils for a different tone (with probably half the output). One up on that is I think you could wire a variation of the Bart diagram of inner singles/outer singles /and dual HB and get humbucking single - although noise is not an issue with Barts anyway.

Different.

8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I don't think he could split the coils as they are likely one coil per string like the other Bart quads but he could run the 2 coils in each half in parallel, run the 2 halves in parallel or both to get a brighter sound with less output

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep,

depending on how the pups made. He may be able to drag a metal object across the pup but they're probably so close you wouldn't be able to distinguish seperate coils.

I'm guessing there are two coils in each half that run the length of the pup but it's possible they're halved. From what I recall, The 94J Qauds I had were hardwired in series and you couldn't do anything with them - although they may have had 4 posts, don't remember. I do know they didn't have 8 posts so you could split the strings. They did make a 94J that had 8 posts though and you could split the strings with those.

The MM4 I've got has 4 posts and I posted a thread and nobody knows anything about them and I haven't got around to calling Bart yet but I will if I can ever remember to do it during the day. I assume it can only be split into pairs but if the finish of coils is ran to the backing plate, then I should be able to split all four coils.

Thing you run into with Barts is they're low output and unless you've got enough amp, you may need the volume thats cut in splitting coils and running parallel. Boost on a pre doesn't help cause that jacks with your tone, and if you need to cut that makes volume an even bigger issue. The location of a P is nuetral which is better than bridge but not as good as neck - in terms of output.