Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini question (from Tobias Growler)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MikeBass, Sep 8, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Hey all, I'm posting this for a friend who just picked up a Growler 4.
    The quetion is: There are 4 trim pots in the control cavity. What are their functions??
    The bass is all stock, quad coil p/u, two stack pots, vol, blend.
    Thanks!!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I get the impression those Tobias basses had all kinds of junk in them and various options. I had a Bart pre out of one once and had to jetison the buffer to get it to work right. Can't remember if it was a Growler or not but I looked into it at the time and either what I got was a slimmed down version, a different year/model, or incomplete cause I actually had a at least one guy ship a pic of his control bay and it had all kinds of garbage I didn't have. Seemed it had some option for slap among other things.

If it's a Bart pre, one is probably a trim pot for gain. I'd go to harmonycentral.com user reviews and look the bass up and skim through them for info. Often they have an email link that you can contact the reviewer as well. There's bound to be a hardcore Tobias forum on the net somewhere and if you find a review where the guy has or has had a dozen Tobias basses - that would be the man to contact for such a site.

At least yours works. In as much, personally I'd just mark where they're set currently so you can reset them there if needed and jack with them one at a time to see what they do. If you can't tell, doesn't matter anyway. Your ear is always the bottom line and if you find an engineer that says otherwise, I'd be looking for another engineer myself.

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Thanks, I'll pass that along.
    I took a look in their for him and figured one has to be a gain trim and the others must control either the bass or treb frequencies.
    We just didn't know for sure.