Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Belka, May 20, 2004.

1. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Hello all,

So I am going to take the plunge sometime later this year or earlier next year and order a custom six string. The company (Mayones) offers the bass with either MEC or Bartolini pickups. I am looking for a sound that is smooth and modern, but which can also sound aggressive when I want. I don't like the 'pretty' sound of some high-end basses which sounds great when soloed but weaker in the mix. I really like the sound Juan Nelson gets for Ben Harper on his MTD, which I am sure has Barts (before anyone asks, my finances don't stretch to an MTD, and anyway, I really like the look of Mayones).

So my question, which would be the best pickups for the sound I'm talking about. Also (and I know this a little off topic) would ash or wenge be a better wood choice for the body in this situation.

Thanks a lot

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'd think the standard Bartolini soapbars would work well for you (the same kind Keith puts on the Roscoe basses). The MTD's are slightly larger than usual, don't know what that means in terms of the pickup construction and the details aren't listed on Pat's web site (last I checked). I'm not familiar with the body shape of the Mayones, can you post a link to the luthier or some pics?

3. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Thanks for the reply. I was meaning to say that I like the Roscoe sound as well. Anyway the link is www.mayones.com. The site is in Polish but most of it is also included in an English version. The bass I am interested in is the the six string Patriot, although I also like the Comodous body shape.

4. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Hy there, you may wanna check here for more Mayones info :)

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Some of those are pretty nice lookin'. That one in the pic looks a little like an F bass body shape.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I find that the Bart pickups by themselves won't sound very aggressive, but if you pair them with an aggressive preamp, then you can achieve the sounds you desire. In my 6-string with Barts, I built a preamp by hand and it really has a great kick to it.