Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lyle Caldwell, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Are the CB series pickups hum-cancelling or single coil? Thanks.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Some are, some aren't. The "JD" suffix means inline hum-cancelling.

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Thanks.

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    So the 59 J1 L1/LN1 CBJD set would be two long jazz pickups, passive, "Classic Bass," split-coil hum-cancelling, correct?

Bartolini's site is terrible and most dealers only offer partial information.

I think I want to redo the electronics in my Warwick Thumb with passive Barts, volume, blend, and tone knobs, and use an external pre if needed. I've been playing the bass in passive mode and liking the sound a lot more than with the stock pre, but the sound is still lacking on the bridge pickup.

I'm going to hold off on any preamp choices until my new rig comes together, but I want to go ahead and change out the pickups.

I'm leaning towards the Bartolinis, unless anyone has a better suggestion. I really want noiseless pickups, so Fralins and Nordstrands seem to be out of the running, plus with the odd string spacing on the Thumb, a lot of polepieces won't align with the strings. The Barts are blade types, right?

I've had the Bassline 5 String Stack pickups in a previous 5 string and liked them, but they require a preamp. I know the Basslines Tone Circuit won't fit in the Thumb.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yep, I think so. Also yep to the blad-types, I'm pretty sure. All but the (now discontinued) 9w4 are.

6. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Parallex - What's Real
    This song was recorded with my "El Nino" Jazz which has Bart Classic Bass J/MM pups and NTBT preamp. The MM pup was in series and the jazz pickup was dimed too. bass EQ was rolled up a little and this was through a SABDDI.

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I can't access the MP3 right now. I don't know if it's my ISP or the whole net, but I can't access half the web right now.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    :( pretty tough mix to hear any of the bass in.

9. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    it's just a demo(recorded in my guitarist's bedroom), but the bass comes in kinda strong during the verses. I wanted it louder during the rest too, but he thought it would muddy up the rest of the stuff, but then again he has the subwoofer turned on on his computer speakers. I told him to mix it with the sub off, but he assumes everyone has subwoofers or something.

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, two bridge length Classic Bass inline hum-cancelling blades.
    I agree. There's actually a lot of information there, but sometimes you have to via different backdoor links to get the info you want. For example, the 5 string pickups link takes you to classic bass pickups, but you can get the other ones via a link from ANOTHER page.
    If you're using stock MEC's, then you're still hearing active pickups as only the preamp is bypassed when you pull the knob up.
    I went through a bunch of combinations when my electronics died in my Thumb 5. I found the Barts a bit dark on the high end for my liking, also tried Carvin, SD, Dimarzio and Villex pickups. My favorite combos were the EMG's plus U-Retro or Aguilar OBP-3 preamp.
    The 2 band one will, with vol, blend,stacked bass/treble.

11. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Hmm, right before I buy the Bartolinis from you, you describe them as "too dark." <g> I singled out those pickups based on everything I read online, all of which indicated they had really nice highs. Why does it have to be so hard?

What pot values did you use with the Bartolinis? I assume you mean the 59 J1 L1/LN1 CBJDs?

Oops, you're right - I meant to say "EQ bypassed." The MEC EQ circuit puts a blanket on the sound.

I thought the U-Retro and J-Retro pres only fit in a J control cavity. It looks like the cards are all connected inline, but you mean they are separate and would work in a Thumb? Interesting.

At this point, if I use a pre, I'm leaning towards the Aguilar OBP-3, if I can get it wired how I want. That would be Blend with a push/pull for bypassing the pre, a stacked pot with volume on top, mids on bottom, a stacked pot with treble on top and bass on bottom, and an internal DIP switch for midrange frequency select.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Lyle,
    sorry, I should have clarified. I used the 9J's, which have a muted high end. The CB have a much more open high end.

FWIW, I don't have the Thumb anymore. 10 years of heavy bass on my back got to me. I was trying the bridge CB in my pedulla rapture p/j 5 (you can only buy the CB's as sets)

The U-Retro can work inside a thumb nicely, it has long ribbons so you can use it with minimal work.

I'm not sure you'll be able to get the OBP-3 wired the way you want, I haven't been able to find an aftermarket blend pot with push / pull.
    I ended up with stacked vol/vol,mid,bass/treble.

13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Ah, good, the sale will proceed. <g>

Good to know about the U-Retro. Thanks.

I thought about stacked vol/vol, but I was concerned about how stage-friendly that would be. The treb/bass stack is pretty much set and forget, at least per song, but I make a lot of pickup blend adjustments while playing.

Anyway, when the Bartolinis get here, I'm just going to wire up vol, vol, tone.

I assume the passive Bartolinis work with 500K or 250K pots? Again, nothing I can find on the Bartolini website.

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    David's assessment of the tone of the CB's versus the 9J's is fairly accurate. I've got an 8CBP, in one of my basses, & its not what I would call dark at all. Also, I've got a 9J#1 to complete the PJ set in that bass, & while its not nearly as bright, I personally don't think its too dark... It's not nearly as hot as the 8CBP, but I'd call it warm,,, rather than "too dark".

I find it frustrating you can't get a CB PJ set, at this point... As soon as I can get a single bridge size, 9CBD I'll get one for comparision sake.

Dave, whats your impression of the 9CBD compared to the 9J#1? I'd very much like to hear your thoughts on this...

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, "too dark" sounds a bit extreme. I said "a bit dark on the high end for my liking". Semantics I know :)

And it all depends on the context, the fingers/bass/strings etc. I know we all know this, but it's important to repeat sometimes so we remember.

For example, 9J#1's on a Geddy Lee Jazz with roundwounds sound great to me, yet they sounded a tad muted on the Warwick for my liking.

My '10c over-generalization' difference between the 9J#1's and the 9J#CB is that the CB's have a more open high end, wheras the #1's have a bit more low end growl. Of course, using CB's you'll still get the natural sound from the Warwick anyway which includes growl.

16. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC

Well, let me say David, that EMGs sound the same in every bass, very sterile. Doesn't matter what bass they're in, they will always sound the same. Villex is super cool to work with, although I have soon yet to try them. Barts sound good, a bit muffled unless they're active. Not very high output when passive. They sound good with the U-Retro Deluxe. I've heard great things about a set of Villex pickups with Villex mids and an Aguilar OBP-1. I'm only worried that they're too bright, but have faith they are not if you roll off the tone knob. Larry Pollock at Aero seems nice to talk to, and Seymour Duncan is reliable, but I don't think the SD are anything really special. Nordstrand seems cool, but seems like more of a bass maker than a pickup maker. Villex is really innovative, more than Aero it seems, but Aero seems cool. Villex is a freaking genius, I'd go that route, seems like he's got more ideas......

17. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't think you can make that sort of generalisation for every EMG pickup in every possible wood/preamp combination.
    I agree they can sound sterile, especially something like EMG J's in an acoustically bright J bass. However, the EMG Ceramic Steel pickups have sounded very warm when I have heard them - last ones I heard were in a Valenti bass which sounded great. Also, the EMG J's / Warwick Thumb combo is a great match.

18. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    +1.

I also heard a EMG/Aguilar pre combo in a Modulus Q5 that I thought sounded VERY warm and punchy (not sterile).

19. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China