Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Apr 23, 2001.

1. I have a pair of 9W6L's with a Duncan preamp, which sounds pretty good, but am thinking of replacing the preamp with a Bartolini. Does anyone know if all Bartolini preamps work with all Bartolini pickups? I'm thinking of an NTBT (?) specifically.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'm pretty sure that all Bart stuff is compatible. It appears that way on the website info, but if you want to know for sure, talk with the guys at BassNW or Bass Central for the lowdown. Forget contacting Bartolini, though....they make a super product, but their customer service work leaves a bit to be desired, though. Really hit-n-miss. This is based on my own personal experiences and many others I've heard about.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, I just had my Bartloni preamp removed from my Curbow Int'l Petite, and replaced it with an EMG. I found that the Bartolini pickups were actually too hot for the preamp. The new EMG has significantly more headroom (partly due to the fact that it is 18V, instead of 9V like the Bart). I have never really cared for the EMG pickup "sound," but the preamp with the Bartolini pickups combine to make a very nice sound. Curbow has even started to favor the EMG preamp with the Barts for his standard setup because he thinks it is a bit more compatible. The EMG also has trim pots for each pickup so you can adjust the amount of gain going to the preamp--a very cool feature.