Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini series/parallel/coil tap??? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by C-5KO, Jun 16, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I would like to install a series/parallel switch, and a separate coil tap switch. I have 2 bartolini soapbars in my bass.

So here's my question, I've checked out the link to bartolini http://www.bartolini.net/instructio...hing/Switch_Wiring_DualCoil_Pickups4_cond.pdf

and now I'm complete confused.

which diagrams do i follow? and in what order? do i put the coil tap before the series parallel switch? or the other way around?

i'm guessing on page 1 second diagram it has a switch for outer SC, dual coil, inner SC. this would allow me to select between the coils. then before that i would install a switch for series/parallel????

HELP!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm assuming you are talking about MASTER series/parallel, rather than series/parallel/whatever coil tapping on the pickups themselves.
    If you have 4 wire soapbars, you can do series/parallel switching individually on each pickup as well as a master level.
    For master series / parallel, the coil tapping MUST occur before the master series/parallel switch.

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I see now. This makes more sense.

I would have the coil tap first. This would enable me to select between the different coils. Then I would have a master series/parallel switch, which would allow me to select series/parallel, on each of the different coils settings?

Did I get that right?

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    pretty much. Just to clarify:
    The output of the individual series/parallel switches is a hot and ground signal, this will feed into the master series/parallel just as it would if you were doing master s/p with two single coil jazz pickups.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Since we're at it, "coil tap" is incorrect. It refers to what you can find on some old pickups, where you had several wires coming out of the coil, so you could use the entire coil or just a part of it.
    When you only use one coil from a humbucker, the correct term would be "coil split"

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    took my bass in today.

so it seems like there was some confusion on the series/parallel switch. he's going to check it up, but what he told me, is that if there is a switch in place, that i would have to keep the blend pot at 50/50. which makes sense to me.

this should be correct, shouldn't it? or is there another way to have a master parallel/series switch with just one switch? he said it could easily be done with 2, but i really don't want that many switches on my bass. it really isn't a big deal to have the blend at 50/50, but he said he'd get back to me on whether it could be done a different way.

any suggestions?

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you're doing MASTER series parallel, and you have a blend knob, you need to have the blend knob at one of the extremes.

This is because when you run the neck and bridge pickups in series, you now effectively have one big pickup - the -ve of the neck and +ve of the bridge are joined to make the series connection.

There are ways round it, if you look in the pickups faq thread you'll see to a bunch of series/parallel threads. Also search for 'series and parallel and blend' and you should eventually find Lyle Caldwells diagram for series/parallel with a blend.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

There is no reason to have such limitations. I know I don't have them on my basses. The blend pot just stops working when you engage series mode and that's it.
    All it takes is a quarter decent electronician and a 3pdt switch.

9. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

You're right. He mentioned this. But the all my switches are tiny black ones... so I think he mentioned that it would be hard to find that switch in tiny black. He said it's very common in chrome or any other colour. To which my reply was, ok, then if you install the black switch, it means that I would just have to leave it in the 50/50 position, (which it is usually). Either way, the blend wouldn't be used (it would be disabled with a chrome switch, or I would haev to leave it in 50/50. So, I said for the sake of asthetics, I would like a matching black switch.

Plus he also said, that he need some time to think about it. So I'm thinking he hadn't come to that conclusion yet. Either way, he's a really good tech, and I've been using him for a few years now, and all the work he's done for me has been topnotch, as well as extremely affordable, and very prompt, compared to my local guitar store repair shop.

I'll mention to him again and see if he can find a black switch that would just bypass the blend pot.

Thanks guys.

on a side note, I'm thinking about switching some barts out for nordstrands... I'll start a separate thread if anybody in interested in some more helpful advice.

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Right, I agree, but it takes more than the standard series/parallel mod switch to do this. Not that much more, but still some extra work nonetheless if you want blend to be bypassed in series mode.