Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini soapbar question - add SC or PL switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DLM, Oct 27, 2005.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    I tried a search and couldn't get the specific answer I'm looking for...

I have standard Bartolini soapbar pickups in my bass and was thinking of installing a series/parallel or series/single coil switch for two reasons...

1) To get more of a jazz bass sound. Would adding a switch get me there? If so, which one?

2) To increase the growl effect a la Tim Commerford of Rage Against The Machine. Would adding a switch get me there? If so, which one?

Thanks!

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Do it all in one switch. I'll find the schematic...

3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  4. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    My ignorance means I still need to get specific answers to my questions before I start doing any mods to my bass.

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Okay, if you have standard "dual coil" soapbars flipping to single coils can get you close to a jazz tone. Sometimes quite close. Parallel is nice because it remains humbucking and has it's own flavor.

What kind of bass? Got a pic? Do you know the exact model of Barts?

6. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    I believe they are Bartolini 18v NS2TMB - 3-band EQ which came stock on my Hanewinckel.

The sound of this bass is somewhat smooth - would single coil and/or parallel get me more "growl" than what I currently have?

7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I think that's your EQ model and not your pickups but both parallel and single coil will give you a brighter more biting tone. Series tends to be smooth and beefy and louder. Growl is a tricky term but I would say the change would make it more aggressive.

The Bartolini charts in the link say series has the most mids which would imply more growl for series.

Commerford's tone has been a Stingray, which is usually a dual coil in parallel. And a Jazz Bass, which with both pickups on is actually a dual coil in parallel with the coils farther apart. So on paper your closest match is the single coil for both of your pickups (Jazz) or the neck pickup in parallel (Stingray). So with a series/parallel/single switch for each pickup you'll have a ton of options, some probably much closer to what you want.

8. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Thanks for the info. You mentioned that I could potentially put switches for each pickup to get a ton of options. If I don't want my bass to have all these switches on it, but wanted to limit it to one switch at most, what would you suggest in terms of configuration, a single coil switch that controls both pickups simultaneously?

9. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    If you just want one switch my favorite is the last one on the Bart link. It gives you access to all 4 coils as singles and lets you blend between 2 different pairs of singles that are humbucking in the middle position. Coincidentally mimicking a Jazz and a Stingray in the different single coil settings... Kinda.