Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini Stingray5 replacement pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BenYBass, Oct 21, 2002.

1. BenYBass

BenYBass

Oct 7, 2002
    Toronto
    I am interested in getting a Bartolini replacement pickup for my Stingray5. I checked the Bartolini website and there are a lot of models to choose from: the 72MM and the 72MV series each with 5 different models. Which one should I get? I want to change the aggressive, bright, brittle sound of the stock pickup to a more mellow, darker sound. Any help appreciated.

2. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hi BenYBass,
    Now I couldnt tell you what model number is best, but I can tell you that unless you are going to stick with the stock pre-amp in that bass, you'll need to stick with a dual coil instead of the triple coils that Bart offers. I made the mistake of buying one of the triple coils and not being able to install it due to the 3 way switch. The luthier that looked at it said it would be an "experimental" process and would cost a LOT unless I went with an aftermarket pre. I did however have an MMC pickup in my 4 string Ray, but it totally changed the sound of the bass. Instead of being aggresive, it was very "flappy" and almost too modern sounding.I wanted to keep the Ray sound but enhance it. I ended up putting the stocker back in. If you're looking for a smooth sound, I'd suggest the Seymour Duncan Basslines with the Alnico magnet. It is a very nice addition to a newer Ray as well as the MM replacement pre. Try Black Rose Customs . They had the best price so far and the owner really good to work with.

Thanks
    Tommy