Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini users, your comments please…

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brock29609, Dec 8, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Even though I’ve never heard them in person, I’ve decided to buy a set of Bartolini jazz pickups. Please help me choose the right pickups with your comments on the following…

1. I’m choosing Barts because I’m a pick player, and I want a pickup that will minimize pick noice (i.e. plastic scraping on the strings). Will the epoxy castings on these pickups minimize this noise more so than pickups with exposed pole pieces? Their website suggests so, but I'd like to hear a user's experience.

2. These pickups will be used with a Aggie OBP-3 preamp in an ash/rosewood jazz through a 210 and 115. I’m trying to decide between the 9J#4 (more vintage) and the 9J#1 (deeper, growlier). I like a more in-your-face funky tone that cuts through with clear, strong low mids, soft highs and growly lows. Not looking to make the earth rumble open. I'd prefer to cut through. Any suggestions on which one is right for me?

Thanks!

2. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'm not sure about the noise your describing but I find that the epoxy casting is superior both ergonomically (no sharp edges) and sonically (quieter.)

From what I understand, the #1 winding are standard production and the #4's are now a custom winding - meaning #1's are readily available and you should be prepare to wait a long time for #4's.

I went w/ # 1's and I'm quite happy with them.

I'm not sure about the Aguilar/Bart match up. Even if the EQ slopes are complementary you might be better off using a preamp that has adjustable gain aside from EQ. The Bart's are pretty low in output. I'm not 100% sure about the OBP-3.... it may have that feature. The Bart pre's have a trimpot to adjust the gain of the flat signal.

As far as a sonic comparison, I'd characterize them as smooth, balanced, and dark - tamer than single coils but not clinically sterile. All of the action and growl seems to take place in the low mids as opposed to high mid and top end action of single coils.

They're a bit more sublime in the mix as opposed to jumping out of it.

I've found that the Bart preamp EQ really compliments the PU's well. With a little tweaking I've found that I can dial in a 'idealized' single coil bite and variations of modern or vintage tones.

3. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I have a source for the #4 and #1 windings, so both are an option for me.

4. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Nice.

You could always go w/ the #4's and then order the readily available seperate #1 bridge PU to A/B them.

5. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    So the neck pup is the same for both? It's just the bridge pup that's wound differently?

6. i used 9J4's and found them just as bright as the stock MIJ jazz pups
    but more mellow and bassy on the bottom
    their output is lower but with an onboard module show their best...
    they were sensitive to string noise so i am not too sure about the epoxy casings really muting those clicks...but they are dead quiet and wound split coil so even on their own they buck him
    good for string spacing and string bending too as they dont have a dedicated spacing pole..being wound with blades...
    i have a P/J fender vintage pup bass just now but would consider barts as a replacement
    not sure if 9J4 is available ...they seem to have gone on to a newer designation for their stuff.
    good luck
    ps the 9W is the most recommended as i recall
    since they are wound single pole to each string and give more of a single coil sound.
    :)

7. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I have a Bart P/J set and a Bart J/J set on the way. One bridge J is a #4, the other is a #1.

I think I'll put the #4 in my basswood P/J and the #1 in my ash Jazz. The bassy P pickup and soft body wood could probably use some brightening. The #1 should give my Jazz some good growl.

Boy, I hope I like these barts since I've now invested in two sets.

8. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'm pretty sure that the neck PU's are identical.