1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini v Lakland LH3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass., May 9, 2010.

1. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    Just incase anyone needed this. Either from the LOG or from the group here. These are the recordings I did to compare the two pickups against each other. I hope this will make it a little easier to search for anyone in the future.

Barolini vs Lakland's/Hanson's LH3

http://web.me.com/hiddenkermit/Site/Lakland_v_Bartolini.html

any questions let me know. I still have the pickups and could do something with a pick or some slap technique.

You may need to refresh the page a couple of times to get the media to load but that should solve any issues.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The Lakies sound hotter and more even across the board but the tonal quality sounds the same. At least to my ears!

3. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    The really interesting part (and I hope other bart player can testify) is that the Bartolini's sound exactly how you'd like them to sound live! When I listened back to the recordings I almost couldn't believe that I had removed them. However, when you play live the barts come off too clean and polite.

The Lh3 sounds great recorded but it Truly shines when you play on it live. It have a Much more even tone, when the pickups are adjusted correctly, across the strings and cut through fantastically.

Ultimately if the bartolini's could sound live like they do in the recordings I'd keep them in because they sound Great.

4. FWIW I have a 44-01 with MK1 barts and LH-3 preamp. Wired up passive/active and the MK1's sound good
    enough passive, dark of course as Barts do and the LH3 gives it a lift in volume and seems to smooth out the
    bass and add more pleasant tops plus it has mid range peak options, still with a similar dark Bart tone.

Unfortunately my browser wouldn't load most of the OP's sound files. I imagine the differences between the
    Lakland/Hanson pickups and Barts would be subtle.

5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I also thought the Bart's were polite sounding (didn't mind the dark). Nevertheless, I put Basslines in my 59-94. It seems clearer and punchier, if not as bassy. I've considered putting the Bart back in the neck position to add a little girth to the sound, but since I mainly play my P's in the current band, haven't bothered.