1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini vs. Aguilar Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superqwertyboy, Jul 23, 2007.

1. superqwertyboy

superqwertyboy

Mar 14, 2007
    new york
    Hi, it’s the “Fake Buzzard” guy again, anyone have opinions on Pre-amps?

I settled on a Bart MMC in the bridge position, and a Jason Lollar single coil in the neck position

I’m stuck between the Aguilar OBP-3TK and the Bart NTMB 5.2 A/P

I currently play a MM Stingray w/everything flat, trying to achieve a “Piano” like sound w/ frequent string changes

I want 18v for headroom (I’m a heavy handed monster slap-hack)

Thanks for everyone’s help, I’ll post a picture of it when it’s done

2. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    While they are both great preamps, the Bartolini has more a less focused, more rounded edge to the frequency bands while the Aguilar is sharper, clearer and a more focused. I won't recommend what it is you should get, but think - agressive = Aguilar, smooth = Bartolini. Of course the line is blured once you start tweaking your amp, etc. but with all things set flat, this is what you can expect.

Thanks,

KT

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Is it possible to acheive a smooth sound with the Aggie? Agressive with the Bart? I'm pondering the same basic question, only I'm adding in the John East MM replacement pre. Different pickups as well...but the Bart is one option.

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The OPB-1 is slightly different and can take on a tube esque voicing due to the different treble freq. center, ect.

5. superqwertyboy

superqwertyboy

Mar 14, 2007
    new york
    So... Does anyone have any insight on the difference between the OPB-1 and the OPB-3... I'm a tube lover

6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The OBP-3 is a three band eq preamp w/ switchable mid freq. points. The OBP-1 is a 2 band w/ boost only.

The OBP-1 has a treble freq. at 4k vs. the harsher 6k of the OBP-3. This, along the wider bandwith boost of the Bass/ Treble controls have something to do with the warmer inherent tone of the OBP-1.

However, the OBP-3 is more versatile and can be more modern sounding although when flat they sound virtually identical. The same 6k high freq. that makes for harsh boosting, also makes for a good cutting freq. point. However, this is countered by adding a passive tone to the OBP-1 and allowing you to cut high end with similar, if not better, results.

OBP-1 runs best at 18v (two batteries), while the OBP-3 is best suited for 9v.

This should help.

7. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    I have the OBP-3, it has plenty of headroom if thats what your after. It is best described as modern but in my language it is boomy. A small tweak anywhere creates big changes, I wouldn't go with one again for that reason. I'd personally try the obp-1 but you dont have the choice of 9 or 18 volt with that one like you do with the obp-3 but most likely i would try the bart.
    This is opinion only, the headroom of the obp-3 may suit your needs. Can you try to get a bass with one in it to have a listen/play of it.