Bartolini vs. Basslines

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SgtKoi, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Bartolini

38 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. Basslines

35 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Other (I don't want EMG)

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    Hi,

I am getting a Warwick in a while (when I have the money :crying:), but I really dislike MEC pickups. I don't know whether to get Bartolini or Bassline pickups. I am getting the STC-2a (I think that's the model). I know I will get that Dirk Lance and PNut tone with the Basslines and the STC, but I was wondering about the Bartolini's. I don't only play old Incubus and 311, but I do enjoy playing that. I want to Warwick to retain it's "growl" that everyone (well most everyone) love. I was wondering if the Bartolini were as good as the Basslines. I know that the Basslines (AJJ-1, but I might get the 5-string) are active, and the Bartolini passive. I like Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Who, Zeppelin, Rage Against the Machine, 311, Pearl Jam, Wooten stuff like that. I know that the Bartolini will give me more of a classic rock tone, but I've heard they're good for funk. Are Basslines good for RHCP (yes, I do know that Flea uses Lane Poor (am I right?)), but I'm thinking if I roll down the treble on the preamp, I could get his tone on the Basslines.

Thx

Koi

2. bpd024

bpd024

Aug 6, 2007
    I have basslines in my Fender Jazz and I can get an awsome JPJ sound.

3. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    but in some of his new modulus bass flea uses SD bassline pups

4. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    No, I don't think he uses them, Modulus just put them in the basses they sell, I read in a Bass Player article Flea uses Lane Poor

5. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I think in terms of output, the Basslines win hand down. I bought a pair of Bart J pickups without a preamp and they were so low output, I had the gain on my preamp maxed with no clipping at all. You pretty much have to have an onboard preamp with the Barts where the Basslines are pretty hot out of the box.

6. It all depends whether or not you want a super hot slap tone or just a nice warm punchy tone. The Bartolinis are passive, yes, but paired with a good preamp they'll put out. The basslines are nice too but some find them a little too hot for their taste. I like both of them, depending on what I'm looking for. I voted Bartolinis simply because I've never had a better pair of pickups in any of my basses, although the Barts I have cost me over $300. You may want to give Nordstrands a try. I just put a set of those in my Lakland and they're awesome pups too.

7. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    I want both :p

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Aye! me too!

9. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    i think ill get barts in my jazz bass and basslines in my Warwick

10. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    delano

11. Doesn't your amp have a gain knob? Unless you have a shielding problem the absolute output shouldn't make a bit of difference.

12. I've owned 3 basses with active pups and I didn't really like any of them (Ibanez Musician, GL L5500 (EMG's), Godin BG5 (Basslines). There is just something about the sound and feel that gets on my nerves. I've also owned 2 basses with Barts, a Toby 5 and a 5502. On a scale of aggressive being 10 and polite being 1 I would rate the EMG's a 10, the Basslines a 5, and the Barts a 1. So with the Basslines and the Barts being your choices I wouldn't buy either but, I'm a SR-5 kinda guy anyway. If you can deal with the active tone and feel I think you might like the Basslines best but, you really need to play both and decide for yourself.

13. Also realize that bartolini pickups come in a few different flavors. I have heard some very, very polite sounding Bartolinis. I would not describe the set I am using now that way at all.

14. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    If you are looking for a "hotter" tone, I agree with others out there, the Basslines will give you that. I am do not really like their preamps but the Jazz pickups are great. You will find that a lot of the custom jazz basses out there use Basslines jazz pickups and then use another preamp. Ask Vinny Fodera...

15. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    You can buy aftermarket Fodera preamps!!!!!?!?!??!?!??!??!!??!? count me in!

16. xerovis

xerovis

Jan 20, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Personally If i had to, I would try DiMarzio Jazz Pickups, (The set of them). They are very versatile as a jazz and can range from a hotter crunch to a warm mellow, but otherwise id stay with the MEC's. They are like a quarter of the price you pay for a warwick.

17. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    i use the dimarzio model j's in my squier 70's vintage modified, very nice pups for the price, pretty growly with lots of punch

18. ecufunk

ecufunk

Nov 19, 2007
    now i heard delano at last and belive me they are amazing pure luxury sound bartolini CB are unbelivable but delano are something else very very nice pickups i´m glad to at last heard they sound with delano you can´t go wrong but they are a litlle pricy but they worth the money....by the way new bartolini soapbars are really good

19. rommfullofmirro

rommfullofmirro

Jan 21, 2008
    Barts have a trim pot inside. hot does not always equal tone or the tone that i am looking for, SD sound ok - have never ever excited me, they have one pu that does one thing well the vintage ( 60`s) vibe. barts have a wide array and i do thunk tghey are getting a bad rap here from many that are really frustrated with delivery times that has been going on a long time now, now we have a generation of bart haters.

never liked the SD soap-bars at all, or pre-amps. guess i hear it different than some.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021