1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini w/ Aguilar OB3 OR Aeros w/ a pre amp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by yoyossarian, Mar 9, 2008.

1. yoyossarian

yoyossarian

Dec 17, 2007
    I have been using bart soap bars w/ 3 band eq (modulus Q6) for a few years now, but have heard great things about Aeros. I am going to buy a new elrick in the next few weeks and am thinking about making the switch then as elrick uses both brands.

anyone have experience with both of these pickups ( I know aeros have dozens of models, any specifics would be greatly appreciated) and can you give me your overall opinion on them? I am hoping to get the set with the most flexibility tone wise. the largest tonal range, etc...

the aeros with custom wooden pickup covers look great.

2. yoyossarian

yoyossarian

Dec 17, 2007
    someone must have experience with both of these...bump

3. yoyossarian

yoyossarian

Dec 17, 2007
    hmmmmm

no one has any preferences when it comes to these pickups?

4. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    the aeros are very clean sounding.depending on what type of woods your getting might make a difference

5. robnatt

robnatt

Sep 14, 2005
    I play a Modulus Q5 with Bartolinis and Aguilar OBP-3. I have always liked the tone. Occasionally, I'll buy or try something else, but never like it as much.

Recently, I took the Q5 in for a setup adjustment. The string and pickup height was adjusted. The tone went from good to unbelievable. (I know this should be common sense, but I just didn't really consider it). This could provide a positive improvement at a minimal cost, if it's something you haven't considered.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Aeros.

I hope this helps.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I owned an Elrick singlecut that had Aero pickups in it that I switched out for Bart soapbars. The Aeros were very clear, as mentioned, and pretty bright. I can't recall the model I had, but the bass is pictured on the Aero site (with the pickup type named I assume). Barts are more my thing though- they're warmer and punchier. The bass had a Bart 3-band preamp.

7. yoyossarian

yoyossarian

Dec 17, 2007
    good replies, thanks...I think knowing barts myself and liking them I might as well go with them instead of aeros...barts seem to sound fuller...