1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini- Why do you love or hate them?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Dec 24, 2016.

1. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    I've had a need recently to have a bass tuned down a half step all the time and picked my LTD, with a Bart P/J set.

Honestly, after playing it with rounds for the last 2 weeks at practice, I have NO idea how anyone can say Barts are a polite only pickup. Man, my bass sounded killer last night...clean, powerful, deep bass, killer mids. I'm playing heavy metal, classic rock and everything in between. I think Barts have somehow been pigeonholed into being a "fretless pickup only"...complete BS.

59444379684eb9164596e02b4795d418.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Brad Johnson and rogerbmiller like this.
  2. Slapndbayass

Slapndbayass

Nov 9, 2016
    With any set up it depends on what you are trying to achieve.
    I like Barts for recording to lay down a consistent bass track while sounding like a bass and not a guitar. No solo work just anchor. Fretboard movements like slides are accentuated in my experience with some old Bart Pbass pickups. Makes for an interesting recorded track.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  3. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    Moving from 15yo EMGs (pj) to Bart classics in a custom bass I've been tinkering with for about 7 years now.
    Looking for more growl and a less hi-fi sound.

4. Cover Band Dad

Cover Band Dad

Aug 3, 2018
    This is an old thread so apoligies if this issue is now stale, but I just put bartolini 9j1s in a 1997 mim J bass and they make a huge improvement. The bass had two terrible sounding “short” pickups which didn’t him cancel and the hum was terrible. Bartolini is one of the few companies that makes two short j pickups so I didn’t have to file the bridge pickup cavity to fit a traditional longer j pickup. Brought the bass back to life and it sounds great!

4StringTheorist likes this.
  5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    i have them in my squier PJ special, and my brute (the one in my profile pic), along with a bart preamp. i both love and hate them. they are super clear and well defined. they don't really get a "mean" or gritty tone that i like though when i dig in, which i do sometimes want. a local friend who does some luthiering is building me a bass and i'm going passive and am not going to put barts in it. probably will go with delano, aguilar, or fralins with the 5% overwind...