Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini XTCT VS NTMB

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Jul 11, 2004.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I got myself a used Curbow 6 string bass recently, the bass installed with a Bartolini XTCT-B preamp. I would like to know the sounds difference between Bartolini XTCT and NTMB pre, because I want to buy a NTMB pre for my bass. Any suggestion and information? Thanks a lot! :D

2. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Guys, any information?!! :confused:

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have the tct in one of my conklins. it sounds ok, but i'm not really that crazy about it - the tmb is better, imo. from what i understand the tct is cut only.

4. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Thanks John, so did you have any experience on XTCT? I feel the sound of XTCT is not powerful enough, what I can hear is mid, no bass and treble at all. :( It is good for cut through the band, but it is not good for my style.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Besides JT's fine info based on his experience, you might contact Grasshopper at Bass Central (.com) on their 800 number.

The guy is a Bart expert and very helpful, (also, very busy, so be patient if he is doing one of his other jobs). I spoke to the VP of Bartolini for the eastern US and Grasshopper seemed much more knowledgeable and accessible to me.

6. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Hey Rick, Thanks for the info!! I will contact Grasshopper for sure! :D

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    your experience with it mirrors mine somewhat - i certainly get bass and treble out of the tct that's in my bass, but not to the levels i like. it's sorta blah sounding imo if it's not cranked, which equates to flat with a cut only preamp. actually, the preamp has a limited lifespan in that bass, i think. i'm probably going to upgrade it to a demeter or something. i've had this bass this way for 11 years and while i like the tone with everything cranked, i'm sorta tired of the lack of tonal options.

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I am going to resurrect this thing from the dead (2004). . . anyone have any experience with these (the XTCT)? My only experience has been in an Atelier M265. I think they use these standard in their basses, but I'm not sure. It's a two band, bass/treble boost, I believe.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are compared to a lot of the other "J" style pre's out there. It seemed to have a nice meaty tone to it. . .

EDIT: I should make clear that my interest hear is in the XTCT rather than the NTMB. . .

9. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    oohhh oohhh pick me!! :hyper: hahaha.

My XTCT has an internal trim pot that seems to either be sweepable for mids or boosts a certain mid frequency. I have not quite figured it out yet. But, I know you heard my recordings with the M265 and that bass is truly meaty!

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    id be interested in hearing any recording of the z....