1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini XXM45C Quad coil

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by raymondl3, Sep 30, 2010.

1. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Any idea why the Bart XXM45C Quad (160.00)costs so much more than other Bart quads like the M455CBC (110.00)? They are the same size.
    Too bad Bartolini has such a pathetic web site! They don't adequately describe their products.

Thanks.

2. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Because they have 4 coils instead of 2 maybe? I would guess that the quad-coil model takes longer to wind and a bit more work to assemble.

Never judge a pickup by its shell. :)

3. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    But they have several models that are quad coil but much cheaper. I've found the M45C at The Bass Place Arizona for 79.00 BestBassGear the same for 107.00

4. I used to have a set in a Tobias Toby. They were expensive pickups but MAN, they have balls and shook windows. They had so much output and were some heavy pickups. I'd say they added close to a pound to the overall weight of the bass. I can't comment on the others but the xxM45c's were some great pups. Maybe the question shouldn't be why are the xxM45c's so much more, but why are the M455CBC's so much less.

5. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Cool. Trying to decide what to put in my Steinberger fretless. It will likely be a one pickup bass. It seems all of the pickups are described the same on the Bartolini site.

Thanks for the info.

6. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    That's odd. I thought the M45C was actually a dual coil. Maybe it's an older model? You're right, the various models and configurations can be very confusing. The $107 pickup at BestBassGear is actually the M45CBC which is a dual coil pickup.

I guess value is in the eye of the beholder. I actually like their "classic bass" pickups better. The M45CBC is a really nice pickup. The "classic bass" pickups are among their cheapest, for reasons that I don't understand.

Ah, a fretless! The "classic bass" works very well in these. Is the pickup in the "sweet spot"?

7. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    OK, I think the source of my confusion comes from Bass Place, where they list the M45C as a quad coil.

http://www.thebassplace.com/parts-p...i-m45c-soapbar-pickup-t-bridge-position-p-655

"Ah, a fretless! The "classic bass" works very well in these. Is the pickup in the "sweet spot"?"

Yes, it's going to be in the sweet spot. I'm going to have to route for it. The treble pickup location is too close to the bridge. I put a M34CBC pickup there, which fit the dimensions but the magnets don't pickup the B and G well enough, so I'm going to go with a longer pickup unless I can find something that works with those dimensions. I thought about putting two dual coils side by side in the sweet spot and treble locations but I may be better off with a single pickup in just the right place.

So you think Classic series is better than Original for fretless?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021