Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by willkt6, Oct 9, 2005.

1. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    I have an Ibanez with Bartolini MK1 pickups and eq and I love the sound, my Bass Collection has some no-name pickups and I was wondering as you can't buy MK1's what the nearest sounding bartolini you can buy is. Could anyone tell me the model names of the pickups, and if I would need a new EQ or not, or if it comes with one, and the rough cost in GBP. Sorry if it's a tall order but I've got some future ideas. :hyper:

2. catdriver

catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    since I can't sem to paste into this window........

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I'm getting ready to post some Bart soapbars if you're interested...

4. the thin soapbars hum restisting or the hum cancelling one. There are the only to that will fir in place of it. I think they have bridge and neck spefic of each. Not 100% on that though

5. Get soapbars that will fit your Bass Collection (measure them and go to the www.bartolini.net website...

as far as electronics...go for the Bart NTCT pre-amp...

an aquilar OBP-3 preamp will also give you great results (it's nearly the same thing with the 400Hz mid)

both preamps come with eq's...but you'll need pots...

6. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    I havent actually switched electronics before. I was going to do a stright swap and then I remembered a 4 string bart set wont fit a 5 string bass :rolleyes:. I'll check the site out and have a look...or maybe look at EMG and Basslines.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  8. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    Hmmm....I'm wondering about EMGs now. But...would I need to buy an eq, or can I just put the pickups and supplied pots in?

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, you can run active EMG's with passive electronics no problem

10. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    But would I be able to boost and reduce the Bass/mid/treb or would I need an eq for that...this looks like it may turn out too expensive for me if I have to buy an EQ

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you don't say if your bass currently has active eq or not. If it does, no reason you can't do a straight pickup swap and keep your circuitry.

If you don't already have onboard eq, and want it, then obviously you'll need to buy a preamp

12. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    oh...I didnt think of that! that's a good point as i have active pickups, but I think I am happy with the sound I have after a bit of fiddling :)

13. Do you know if the MK specific pu's are 2 wire or 4 wire. By any chance.

thank you,
    vapochilled

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    2 wire afaik, the mk-1's certainly are