Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bartolini

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by draginon, Dec 30, 2005.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    It seems like all higher end basses (5 and 6 string versions) use bartolini pickups and of course all the higher end basses I have played sound awesome (mTDs and a few corts). One exception was a Smith that had smith pickups in it. Is bartolini the way to go for the defined smooth sound that all these basses seem to have?

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Barts are pretty cool pickups, that's for sure. They're not ultra-high-end, though... a lot of lower line basses use Barts of various origins in their basses, and they can be purchased as after-market pickups relatively cheaply. I'm not the best guy for comparisons, but word on the street is that Barts tend to be noticably darker than other pickups. I love the way they sound in the one bass that I own that has them. You can get a smooth sound with a lot of different pickups... I'd venture to say that the preamp to which the pickups are connected affects the color of the sound as much (if not more) than the pickups themselves.

3. modeliste

modeliste

Dec 30, 2005
    Hi there dude, i just received my pick up from best bassgear.com no instructions with pick up do you have any wiring diagrams you could email to me at ben_modeliste@hotmail.co.uk

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    wiring diagrams are on http://www.bartolini.net

5. Bigby

Bigby

Dec 30, 2005
    Actually, barts are what I was thinking about swapping out into my Ibanez 405. Anyone done this particular swap?

6. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I was wondering the same thing......

I played a Musicman Stringray last night and LOVED it's thump. I'm not sure what pickup comes with it, but there seems to be a similar model Bartolini. Do y'all think it'd produce a similar sound?

7. modeliste

modeliste

Dec 30, 2005

hi david there arent any 4 four string model

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The modulus flea (which is a MM copy) has a bart MM pup for an option that works very nice....

10. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I love my bart 9j's (they're in my fretless Lakland USA JO)...they did take a little getting used to though. To my ears, they're pretty smooth sounding, I guess you could use the word dark as well. I have other basses that sound better by themselves, but the Lakland shines live and on tape.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

I have to disagree with you on this one.Bartolini makes a vast # of model pickups and preamps.(and they make one of a kind custom products as well)if they were not ultra-high-end they wouldn't be in 80% of the high end basses on the market and about 12% in budget level basses.Bartolini's are in theses basses because of qaulity.Bartolini is definately not for everybody(and not all Bartolini products sound dark or dull)but a very large % of luthiers and Bassist seem to dig what Bartolini does bring to the table.

Modulus
    Fodera
    MTD
    Sei
    Elrick
    Brubaker
    Pedulla
    Sukop
    Lakland
    Curbow
    Adler
    Benavente
    F Bass

All high end luthiers that use Bartolini.

Remember Bartolini has been at it for over 30 years.

12. I had a somewhat love/hate relationship with Bartolinis, even though in my Warwick they sound great, in my Fabregues not so great... But anyway that all changed when I bought my MTD, now I'm completely in love with Bartolini pickups...

13. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I thought Fodera used EMGs or maybe just vic wooten's bass is emgs. I am thinking about throwing a Bartolini P and J in my custom I am planning to build

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Fodera uses Bartolini,Seymore Duncan and EMG

15. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Bartolini makes a wide variety of pickups. They make everything from lo-Z wide bandwidth pickups to a pickup like the CB series. I went from 9J's to CB Classic Stacks in a fretless J and there is no way to tell that they were made by the same company. They both sound good, but very different. The 9J's without a preamp soundkinda neutral, where the CBs sound HUGE. That variety can help a luthier/company select from a wide variety in the same size/form. They also do custom work. So all of that combines to make them popular with higher end builders.

I've had a lot of basses with a lot of different pickups and my main three basses (Zon, Read, mongrel) have Barts, the others are a Turner, Dano, and Tacoma... so replacements are not necessary, not available, or not an option (in that order).

16. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I haven't done the swap, but be sure that the pickups you're planning to put into your bass will fit into the cavity. I almost purchased some EMG's for a 7 string guitar, and I was in contact with a rep from EMG that informed me that the casing for their pickup for 7 string guitar was the casing for a bass pickup. He sent me the specs, and for them to fit, I'd have to route the pickup cavity. Also, since your bass is a 5 string, some 5 string pickup mounting screws go in different places than the original mounting. Be sure to check that out as well.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a new found love for Bartolini pickups ever since I played and recorded with a bass that had CB (classic bass) series pickups in it. They sound huge, clear and alive. They still retain that Bartolini mid presence and growl too.

18. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    emjazz,

do you have any soundclips of the CBs? I was thinking about doing a swap for the soaps I have now. Actually, I wanted to try to grab that 6 with the Lane Poors that's for sale, and gut those pups. But I'm probably way down the waiting list, and he hasn't gotten back to any of us from the looks of things.

edit: found some Jazz CB clips in Dave's tasters. It'd still be nice to hear some soaps!

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This was a recording session I did. The bass was loned to me by my friend Brian Ristola www.ristolainstruments.com (Brian also owns bestbassgear.com). The bass has a mahogany body, redwood burl top, wenge bolt-on neck, and a maple fingerboard. The scale length is 34". It has an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp but I was in passive mode.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    IME Bartolini pickups have tended to sound like the basses they've been installed in. Line up my Brubakers, Elricks, Bone, MTD and Ambush and each bass has a recognizable sound. The Ambush doesn't sound like the MTD, etc.

As far as dark, I doubt the Ambush, Elrick, Brubakers or MTD 635 w/Wenge neck would fit that description. I don't know where that came from... but I read and hear it a lot. Fortunately on more than one occassion I've had the opportunity to hand the person that's saying it one of my basses... and they stop saying it.