Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini's for Carvin 6?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Obsdian, May 12, 2003.

1. Are there any Bartolini pickups available that would fit in my Carvin LB76WF bass without having to route? I checked the Bart catalog but all they had was soapbars, do they make Jaz style pups for 6-strings?

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I have seen a J-style pickup for 6ers in the Bart catalog, but I don't know if they're real.

Try Bill Lawrence's J-45L pickups. I put a pair in my LB76 and they made a tremendous improvement in tone. They're a direct drop-in replacement, and they're cheap too!

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Former Carvin 6 owner here. IMO, there's nothing wrong with the Carvin pickups, the problem is in the preamp. Drop a Bartolini preamp in there, and the bass will sing.

Regardless, you likely WILL have to route to fit in Bartolini pickups, when I researched this a few years ago, none of their models were an exact fit. Its possible that they added a new size since then but I wouldn't hold my breath.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Eric, I'm afraid I disagree on both counts. The J99 pickups in my LB76 didn't cover all 6 strings! And the current Carvin preamp is a significant improvement over their older models.

All IMHO, of course. The Bart pre may be better still.

I still think a pair of Bill Lawrence J-45Ls is the best improvement you can make on a Carvin 6.