Bartolini's for Carvin 6?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Obsdian, May 12, 2003.

1. Are there any Bartolini pickups available that would fit in my Carvin LB76WF bass without having to route? I checked the Bart catalog but all they had was soapbars, do they make Jaz style pups for 6-strings?

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I have seen a J-style pickup for 6ers in the Bart catalog, but I don't know if they're real.

Try Bill Lawrence's J-45L pickups. I put a pair in my LB76 and they made a tremendous improvement in tone. They're a direct drop-in replacement, and they're cheap too!

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Former Carvin 6 owner here. IMO, there's nothing wrong with the Carvin pickups, the problem is in the preamp. Drop a Bartolini preamp in there, and the bass will sing.

Regardless, you likely WILL have to route to fit in Bartolini pickups, when I researched this a few years ago, none of their models were an exact fit. Its possible that they added a new size since then but I wouldn't hold my breath.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Eric, I'm afraid I disagree on both counts. The J99 pickups in my LB76 didn't cover all 6 strings! And the current Carvin preamp is a significant improvement over their older models.

All IMHO, of course. The Bart pre may be better still.

I still think a pair of Bill Lawrence J-45Ls is the best improvement you can make on a Carvin 6.