Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini's in a carvin? anyone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkedupbass, May 22, 2005.

1. I'm ordering a mohogany LB20 w/flame maple top and am kinda unhappy with the pickups (j99). I love the bass, just have a feeling that better pickups would beef it up. I play primarily rock, funk, pop and the occasional jazz standard.
    I'm wondering if anyone has put Bartolini's in their carvin and how it ended up. Particular the 9Ks jazz set. But any input is appreciated.
    I don't want to go active as I have an active bass aleady.
    thanks,
    eric

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey Eric!

Well, i'm not sure what kind of a tone you are looking for, but i would reccomend either bartolinis or Basslines'.

The bartolinis are known to give a low output signal, and a warm, smooth tone. They sound great, but they tend to sound very dull and weak without an active preamp. I actually think they were designed to be used with a pre :cool: .

I think you would be happy with a couple of Seymour Duncans!

Try their "Antiquity" jazz bass pickups. They have a very thick, warm jazzbass tone that blends perfectly with a moderately heavy band. If you need a more modern, beefy and punchy sound, try the "Quarter Pounders", which are... well...... best decribed as a single coil of a very overwound MM pickup :D

Other than that, you have the "hot stack", which is somewhat "in the middle"

Cheers!
    -Erlend

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Bill Lawrence J-45Ls are a drop-in replacement and will sound dramatically better IME. They're kind of hi-fi, which some folks may not prefer. If you're looking for the Seymour Duncan tone, go for those.

4. How would you describe the sounds from the j45's and output level.
    I'm looking for that jazz bass growl, low mids, ~~~ other frequncies as well, but also a meaty, b~~~sy rock tone.
    thanks for the idea,
    eric
    IME? que passa?

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    IME = In My Experience. (as opposed to IMO = in my [possibly uninformed] opinion)

The Lawrence pickups sound like a very transparent J style pickup. They don't exaggerate any frequency range. If the highs are too much for you, you can roll them off with the tone control. They are not the pickup you want if you are looking for plug-n-play "Jaco in a box", though you can probably get any J tone you want with the right tone control tweaks.

6. what do you mean Transparency?
    It seems the barts are out of the picture. And I'm re~~~y interested in the J45. Curenntly debating them and the antiquity 2. Do you know of any reviews for the j45 out there?