1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bartolini's in a Stingray

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DWBass, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just curious who has done this and how did it turn out? I'm a huge Bartolini fan and I have a SBMM SUB Ray4 that I absolutely hate the electronics in it. It's just not a pleasing sound. I was thinking of putting a Bart MM pickup and a Bart pre in it. I don't necessarily have to have a 'Ray' sound. Just want clear, articulate and smooth!

2. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have a 1998 Fretless SR. It had the classic weak G syndrome and very sharp pole pieces in the stock pickup. I went out on a limb and got a Bart pup off here and installed it. At first I wired it up series, then ended up switching it to parallel. It is very comfortable feeling, completely cured the "weak G," and has that smooth, clear Bart sound. I'd say its less brittle on the top while remaining clear and open, and more open in the mids than the stock one, without being too barky. I never looked back. It is so much better I sold the stock pup. Hope that helps. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364491919.773790.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks for the insight.

4. In 1980's my greatest supporter and fan; my wife gifted me with a pair of [passive] Jazz Barts.

At that time, I only owned one bass; 1978 Rick 4001.

She also knew that I greatly admired Bartolini Pups and Jaco Pastorius.[We saw Jaco in Atlanta at Rumors]. She knew Jaco used a Jazz, so she gifted me with the Bart Jazz set pups. My father-in-law installed the Barts.

Now my Rick neither sounds like a Rick, nor a Jazz; more with its own distinct tone. It is clear and noise free. Pups are even volume-wise which is not the case with stock Rick pups. No dead spots or weak G or any issues.

My 2001 Zon Sonus 6 lined fretless came Bartolini equipped, as I specified. My Zon Sonus uses Bart active Soap Bar pups.

My experience with Bartolini has been positive.

Depends on what you want or need.

I wanted and get a clear even tone, which is what I get from Bartolini pups.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'm surprised you didn't get the Bartolini Rick sized pickups.

For many years I used a Hi-A (former name for Bartolini) pickup in the bridge position on my '73 4001. It was mini humbucker size, so it fit right in, and Bill Bartolini even set it up on the mounting bracket for me. I bought it in 1976.

One of the best sounding pickups I had ever used.

I still have the pickup. The bass is in the process of restoration.

Hi-A.

6. SGD:

...LOL.. Barts were a gift, as my wife knew I was interested in Barts since reading about the company in BP. She knew I was fascinated with Jaco. [ Jaco= Jazz. ] ....so...she gifted me with Jazz BARTS. AND THEY FIT!!

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh I'm a Bartolini man!! Have them (full Bartolini installs) in 2 other basses. I plan to put them in the Ray4 and a P/J I have as well. The P/J has a full EMG install but the sound is very 'honky' and slightly over-driven, if that's a good description. It's a good rock sound but not my sound. The Ray4 pup/pre are horrible. Usable but horrible sounding.

8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I had an early 90's Ray 5 with a Bart (I bought it that way) and it sounded great with the stock SR electronics. Very nice pickup. Not exactly a SR sound, but not as far off as you might think.

I've got a guitar humbucker-sized Hi-A that I've had for many years. It's been in a few guiatars of mine, but one day it's going to find itself in a bass!

9. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I have a 90s EB MM. Could never get it to sound right to my ears, so Installed a Bartolini MMC or MMX , can't remember now I think it is an MMC. Sounded a bit more balanced but the output was still poor so I installed a Bartolini NTMB preamp and that made a whole world of difference. It still gets the MM vibe, that growl and that bark, but has a wider range, and is not as nasally sounding. Mine has a DPDT switch installed so I can switch between series and parallel, most of the time I have it in parallel. Series is useful in a gig for solos, for that +6dB boost.

10. I haven't put them in a stingray but I have previously owned a couple musicmans and that said my favorite basses had Bart's. their pickups are great even the cheaper bartolini's sound good with a good aftermarket onboard pre amp.Currently playing a conklin 7 with cheap Bart's and an aguilar 3 band. I believe they are the same series as what comes in the ibanez sr505 and sr506. I've also owned a few warwicks with bartolini jazz pickups. They work great with my rig to get my tone. May not be for everyone but they work for me