Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolinis in Laklands & everything else too

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tunaman, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Any particular way of discerning which model of Bart is in... lets say for example the Musicman pickups of Laklands?

These are the many options on the Bart site but no mention by Lakland or their dealers about which particular model is installed.

Bartolini Music Man Pickups:

MMC - bright, smooth humbucker - strong lows and low mids
    MMK - brighter humbucker - treble enhanced version of the MMC
    MMX - brightest, but not harsh, humbucker - more treble and bass than the MMK
    MME - bright, smooth triple coil design
    MMEX - brightest, treble enhanced version of the MME

Thanks Mike

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think they're custom designs for Lakland. I'm sure somebody'll slap me if I'm wrong.

3. I'm pretty sure Munji's right. In addition to all the stuff in their catalog, Bartolini seems to do "custom" pickups and/or electronics for everyone from Lakland to MTD to Zon to Roscoe to Curbow. Maybe that's why it's sometimes so tough to get things ordered from them.

However, Lakland will sell you their Bart setups, I think.

Mike

4. should be right. Lakland will sell you theyre SD pups direct

5. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Considering the MM line of pickups from the original post... Would anybody be able to venture which standard Bart pickups are the closest to the Lakland customs?
    Tough question!

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Does Lakland have an individualized line of SD pups as well?

7. Yep, they do. For both the Bart and SD, the MM pickup is designed to really be a pair of humcancelling J's that match the J neck pickup, so that the M is splitable and both the front and back half are humcancelling and usable.

Mike

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    If I bought a pair of Basslines that were not the Lakland kind, would the thing still sound good? Would it still be splitable? Usable?

9. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    What difference do the SD's make sonically... I'm not a huge fan of the Bart's although the bass sounds good. (I've got a Skyline 55.02 at the moment) ... I think they are a bit too 'soft'...if you know what I mean.

Asking for balls.. is SD the answer?

10. Mud Flaps -- I don't know if the regular SD's are splittable or not, but I don't think SD sells a pickup to fit the Lakland MM 5 size unless it's a custom order.

De Teng -- There's a pickup comparison under the FAQ section of the Lakland site. http://www.lakland.com/html_pages/pickup_comparison.html

Mike

11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    ...Which is okay since mine is a 4 :D !

Here's an update for you, I talked to Sales at Lakland today over my cellular telephone (it has no wires!)

It turns out that Lakland DOES NOT have specially made Basslines. They use the Alnico MM Replacement on the 4's and 5's...

Yes! I did say 5's! Basslines will indeed fit Laklands! I believe there is a 55-94 fitted with one at www.basscentral.com.

The Basslines are splittable. But there is one difficulty: You have to use SD's blend knob. There's somehow fits differently then standard knobs with the electronics and the computer and the minature caveman who wakes up in the middle of the night and plugs back in my patch cord so my batteries run out. (Sorry, I just ate a huge bowl of ice cream and I am ADD out of this world to begin with.)

So it looks like I'm going to buy the Basslines. See if I can do the replacement myself, and if I can't, I'll bring it to the local music shop to see if they can do it. And if they can't, I'll send it to Lakland and have them do it.

12. Not to disagree with you too much, but the string/polepiece spacing is different and the pickups are a different shape and size between the Stingray 5 and the 55- series Laklands.

The 4 string ones should fit just fine on both, though.

Good luck!
    Mike

13. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I've got a alder/rosewood 55-94 with Lakland/Seymour Basslines in it that I love! In fact, I'm buying a used set for my ash/maple 55-94.

The guy I got the Bassline equipped 55-94 from said they required a blend knob. I called the Lakland shop and they told me they were drop-ins, no other changes necessary. Now I'm confused, is a blend knob change necessary or not?

BTW, if I don't like the Basslines in my ash/maple 55-94, I'll buy a 55-02 and have it modified to run the MM style PUPs in both positions, including coil splitting. That should give a versatile bass even more versatility!

14. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Hmm... today I played on a custom 5 string (vd End bass from Holland) and it was equipped with Lindy Fralins.

Anyone knows if they provide pup's perhaps for 55.02 size basses?

15. I know they do the 5-string J pickups for the Joe Osborne, but I don't recall seeing any Lindy Fralins in a MM shape, either 4- or 5-string.

Mike

16. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm under this impression too -- that the stock Basslines 5 pups have a different size + shape from the Lakland 5 pups. And probably string spacing too, since Stingray 5s have narrower spacing than Laklands 5s.

Just wondering if anyone has actually confirmed this by installing the things in a 55-94, or placed them side-by-side, etc?

17. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I don't think Lindy Fralin makes an MM-style pickup...

You may want to look into Carey Nordstrand's line of pickups; I've heard that they are similar to Fralins, and I *think* he sells an MM-style pickup that would fit in your Lakland. You should probably check with him first before buying one, though.

18. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Hmmm.. a bit too risky, buying pup's, which I haven't heard in a bass. Thanks for the comment though.

About the Fralins... I could put two jazz types in the Skyline and when selling, reinstall the standards again. But that's a bit of extra work...extra costs... and perhaps there are other options. (Selling the Lakland and buying the secondhand vd End... it sounded sooooo smooth and fat... wow... hopefully the seller gives me a week to arrange things)

19. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    First, bartolini pickups are not top of the line bartolini pickups unless they say b a r t o l i n i in rased letters accross the entire length of the pickup. Second, when you see bartolini pickups in manufacturer's basses, they usually claim that these are custom pickups made for that bass manufacturer. I do not know how much they change from the standard designs, but you can not go to bartolini and get one of those. You have to go to the bass manufacturer, if they will sell to you. Third, many pickups that say they are bartolini, but do not have the rasied lower case letters, are made in Korea based on a bartolini design. Lakland Skyline has these. Ibanez has these. Much much better than the stock no name pickups, but not the same as on an MTD or Roscoe.

tim99.

20. Actually, the only Skyline that has the made-in-Korea (MK1) Barts is the 44-01/55-01. The other Bart-equipped Skylines (44-02, 55-02, and Hollowbody) have US-made Barts, same as the American Laklands.

Mike